Introducing multi-account support for ProtonMail Android

Illustration of multi-account support in ProtonMail Android.

Version 1.12 of the ProtonMail Android app makes it easy for anyone to manage multiple ProtonMail accounts right on their phone. This feature allows you to be logged into multiple ProtonMail accounts at the same time, and easily switch between their inboxes.

Multi-account support

We have received numerous requests from small- and medium-sized business owners, as well as several larger non-profit organizations, for multi-account support. Having one email account for work and another for friends and family can help individuals stay organized. But business executives often have to manage multiple, role-based email accounts, like support@, sales@, and admin@. Until now, accessing multiple accounts on your Android meant constantly logging in and out. That hassle is now over.

Support for multiple accounts is built into the Android app, allowing you to quickly switch between your accounts. This makes it easy for you to use ProtonMail to handle your business communications, even when you’re on the go. Users can have one Free account and an unlimited number of paid accounts logged in at the same time within the app.

A screenshot of multi-account support in ProtonMail for Android.

You can effortlessly switch from one account to another…

Screenshot of how to add or remove accounts from app in ProtonMail for Android.

and also add or remove accounts from the app.

Updated Settings menu

We have redesigned the Settings menu to make it easier for multi-account users to manage their different accounts. The settings are now split between account settings (which are settings for the account you are using) and app settings, which apply to the entire app and all the accounts active on it.

Screenshot of app settings menu in ProtonMail for Android.

App settings let you control the options that affect the app no matter which account is logged in.

Screenshot of Account settings menu in ProtonMail for Android.

And Account settings allow you to access all the options for the account you are currently using.

This update makes it even easier for you to stay on top of your emails on Android. Download ProtonMail for Android and start sending and receiving emails from multiple accounts in privacy and security.

Moving forward, you can expect many more changes for ProtonMail Android, including the upcoming addition of encrypted text search and a redesign of the entire app for a more modern look and feel.  Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, and Instagram to stay up to date with the latest news and let us know what you think!

Best regards,

You can get a free secure email account from ProtonMail here.

We also provide a free VPN service to protect your privacy.

ProtonMail and ProtonVPN are funded by community contributions. If you would like to support our development efforts, you can upgrade to a paid plan or donate. Thank you for your support.

Richie Koch

Prior to joining Proton, Richie spent several years working on tech solutions in the developing world. He joined the Proton team to advance the rights of online privacy and freedom.

38 comments on “Introducing multi-account support for ProtonMail Android

• Can you provide step by step instructions on how to actually add another email account?
    I must be missing something that is obvious to everybody else, but for the life of me I can’t figure it out.

• I’m a little baffled why you deleted my comment where I asked for instructions. I found the answer anyway. You can use it to make your article useful:

Swipe from the left in the app, or press on the burger menu, then click on the account name on top (not on “settings”), then press on “manage accounts,” then “add account.”

• Hi dbx! We don’t usually delete comments, we just hadn’t gotten a chance to approve yours yet. Thank you for providing this info!

• Hello

that all sounds very cool and great for the user experience but when am I gonna get that darkmode feature that was promised to be implemented very soon? 🙁

Really waiting for that, might even consider buying upgrading from my free plan.

Kind Regards

• I realize your development team is busy but as an Amazon Kindle Fire use I am wondering if you are planning an secure app for that platform?
    Currently I am just using a link to my webmail account as I believe the default email servers go through Amazon and Outlook for Android goes through Microsoft.

• Hey Timothy, good question. To increase efficiency, our Android and iOS teams release new features as quickly as possible, rather than waiting for the other team to be ready. Multi-account support is coming for iOS as well. Sorry for the wait, and thank you for your patience!

• Okay this is great but being limited to just one free account at a time is ridiculous. I get that businesses will have a huge need and should pay, but little people probably don’t. I’m sorry but I don’t want to pay just to be able to switch between my two free accounts, especially as a light email user. Was so excited for this feature…just feel slapped in the face now.

• I’m sorry to disappoint, and I appreciate your feedback. We’ll take it into consideration. We don’t monetize our users, so it’s important for us to offer perks for paid users who make our service possible.

• I see that a lot of people have asked this multiple times, but is there an estimate for when this function is available in iOS? It will make my life much easier 🙂

• I can’t give you a timeline, unfortunately, but our iOS team is planning to release this. We’ll post an article as soon as it’s ready.

• Okay it is 4 months on from the original post and I find myself as a new customer on Android with a spouse on IOS having upgraded to get us both addresses. But currenly not possible for him to switch off my email on his application. Any further update on when this is coming. It defeats the purpose otherwise and I will have to go free again.

• I’m not sure I totally understand your situation, but I think there’s a solution here that doesn’t require multi-account support for iOS (though we’re working on this!). Could I trouble you to write to our support team, who can help you in a more personal way? https://protonmail.com/support-form

• Hello, are there any updates on the multiple accounts support for iOS app? Lack of this feature is currently the only thing that’s blocking me from starting to use Protonmail as my primary email provider.

• We are currently working on adding multi-account support to iOS, and it should be available in the very near future. Keep an eye on this blog to find out when it’s ready!

• Dear ProtonMail Team,

I have differents paid accounts and i would like to know When will this be available in the iOS app?
    We are in 03/2020 and there is no news about it!
    Thanks in advance

• You can expect multi-account support for iOS to be ready in the very near future! Keep an eye on our social media feeds to find out the moment it is released.