2018 Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale: Get up to 50% off with two-year plans!

ProtonMail goes on sale just once a year, and this year we are offering our biggest ever discount. Both new users and existing users can get up to 50% off on paid plans from Nov. 23 until Nov. 30.

Our Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale is the only time of the year we offer discounted ProtonMail subscriptions. So right now is the best time to upgrade to a paid plan and get access to more features. You will also be supporting our mission to make online privacy available to everyone.

Here’s how to get our Cyber Monday deals:

New users:

Go to our public Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale page. There you’ll get 50% off when you sign up for a new two-year plan. This means you can get ProtonMail Plus for just $2 per month.

Existing free users:

You can also get 50% off when you sign up for a new two-year Plus plan. You can access the Black Friday offer by logging in at mail.protonmail.com and clicking the Black Friday sale icon in the upper right menu bar.

Note, the 50% off offer is only available for the standard Plus plan. However, if you want to upgrade to a Professional or Visionary plan, or a Plus plan for customizations, is also possible to get a discount by going to Settings –> Dashboard. There, you can select any two year plan, and get a discount between 33%-45% compared to the regular monthly price.

Existing paid users:

Promotional pricing is also available to existing paid users! Because existing users have a wide variety of plans, the promotions being offered are different depending on your existing plan. In most cases though, you can also get up to 50% off with a two-year plan!

Additional two-year plans are also available for a limited time only at Settings –> Dashboard. If you do not see the Sale icon, please refresh your browser.

What happens to my existing paid plan?

Need a VPN?

We are also giving discounts of up to 50% off for combined ProtonVPN and ProtonMail subscriptions. ProtonVPN is a VPN service we launched last year, which features high-speed servers and advanced security features, such as our Secure Core network.

Can I keep the discount after 2 years?

After the first two years, you will keep the two year discount! This means you will get 33%-45% off of the regular monthly pricing, depending on the details of the plan you have selected. Details can be found in our FAQ here.

2-year plans are available exclusively during the promotional period, it will not be possible to get (and keep) this discount after the end of the sale.

Have more questions?

An FAQ with a list of common questions and answers, along with a discussion board, can be found here.

How sale proceeds will be used

We’ve accomplished a lot in the past year. We launched PGP support and Address Verification, Encrypted Contacts and Contact Groups, @pm.me email addresses, ProtonMail IMAP/SMTP Bridge, and much more. ProtonMail is a community-supported project, and revenue from paid subscriptions is our primary source of funding. Upgrading to a paid plan will help us continue to improve ProtonMail.

Over the next year, we plan to launch new features, such as encrypted full-text search and Proton Calendar, and we will also release a lot more open source software. You will also be supporting our community and advocacy work, such as expanding access to open source encryption tools.

The Proton community is everything to us, and we’re grateful for your support. We hope many of you will take advantage of our Black Friday sale to support the project, and we’re always happy to get your feedback on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Reddit.

If you have any questions about the Black Friday promotion, feel free to contact our support team. Thank you again for your support, and we wish you a great holiday season!

P.S: Don’t forget, the sale ends on Nov. 30!

Ben Wolford

A journalist by training, Ben has reported and covered stories around the world. In 2014, he founded a magazine, Latterly, devoted to international reporting on human rights. He joined ProtonMail to help lead the fight for data privacy.

38 comments on “2018 Black Friday/Cyber Monday Sale: Get up to 50% off with two-year plans!

• Thanks for the deal, but unfortunatly and like many other i think, i can’t get out that ammount of monney in one time….

I like you and continue to paid for your service but, the high price…..

• Thank you for supporting us with a paid account. We are sorry to hear, we are trying to keep our prices as small as possible to cover our expenses.

• Hi guys,
    As a regular protonmail user, I would appreciate if you were not spamming us too much about this black friday deal. Getting a special ProtonMail email + a popup when you login is really a bit too much. The last thing I want to see on my paid email account is advertisement…

• Hi, Ben! Thank you for your feedback. It’s quite difficult to find a balance between the users who complained last year that we did not make our offer visible enough and the ones who don’t care about offers. There is an ongoing discussion on this subject on our Reddit profile if you are interested in participating: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/9zmuwp/advertisement_on_protonmail/ We are collecting all the feedback from this year’s Black Friday and we will try to do better next year. Have a nice day!

• I can’t find the Black Friday icon next to the SETTINGS icon. I allready have a paid plan, but I want to take use of this deal. What can I do? Time is running out!

• Hi, Kim! You probably have a 2-year plan active on your account already. This means you already have this deal, which is why you don’t see the button. If you have more questions, please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form

• I’ve brought this to your attention before, about an year ago: you are mentioning “paid users” when in fact, if my understanding is correct, you should be saying “paying users”, unless you are really paying some users to use your services – in which case I’d very much want to become one of those users.
    If I got this right it means your English is not that great; if I didn’t, please accept my apologies for making an inappropriate comment.
    Just trying to be helpful.

• Thank you for this! I would like to upgrade my account, but there is no 50% sale button, as I’m already a paid subscriber (re: Black Friday Sale). It sales on the FAQ, that paid subscribers are able to get a deal too. I would really like to do that, please. Thanks kindly.

• Hi Sahara! You already have the 2-year deal from last year and it renews automatically, so you don’t need to get it again. If you have more questions, please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form

• Hi Charles! This is probably because you already have a 2-year plan active on your account. This means you already have this deal. If you have more questions, please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form Have a nice day!

• Hi, Alaa! This is probably because you already have a 2-year plan active on your account. This means you already have this deal. If you have more questions, please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form Have a nice day!

• Fine sales offer, but to make the concept REALLY successful we would need a more affordable Visionary multi-user plan to get my whole family all-in. Now it’s still merely something for lone individuals. That being said: just became a paid Plus user hoping this’ll grow into something serious anytime soon.

I refreshed my browser but I do not get any icon for any offer

Is it normal ? Could you help me ?

My login is davidszerman

Thanks

• Hi David. You probably have a 2-year plan active on your account already. This means you already have this deal, which is why you don’t see the button. If you have more questions, please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form

• Why should trust you this time around? You quoted me a price – you charged me more and would never communicate back to me when all I wanted was help and an understanding of why you quoted me one price and charged me another.
    Until you answer this post you will not be trusted.

• Hi, Bill! Sorry to hear. Please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form and one of our customer support experts will assist you with this issue. It’s most certainly just a misunderstanding. We respect our users a lot and transparency is our core value.

• Dear Sir:
    Just an idea-why not remove any erase icon/instruction and just let the old email messages purged automatically unless you want to keep some of them.

Hsu. Po Yao

• Hi

Your vpn app is not available on play store at least in my region also your protonvpn.com website is unaccessible so how to benefit from the offer?

• I have a 2 year subscription already, but I was considering switching to the VPN Cyber Monday deal. I went into my account, but the deal does not show up in my dashboard.
    Is there a code I can use?

• I’m, an registered paying user with an Professional account including VPN, but I cant get rid of all flashy protonmail Cyber-X offers, which I consider as completely unwanted information, f*ck I call it spam. (free or paying: you will get an awful lot of Protonmail offers, which cannot be disabled)

You’re trying to offer something professional, visionary even, so when do you guys start to grow-up?

You’re very expensive and you act like you’re utter exclusive, while in the meantime you’ve re-introduced Hushmail’s bridging, and even have going further in stupidity with the possibility the to export private encryption keys without any additional logging, and your premium support is a complete joke.

Protonmail is a goldmine for digging agencies whenever you have you’re advanced logging disabled.
    (and time will proof I’m right)

• We’re sorry to hear you feel this way. We do not usually have any promotions and don’t try to upsell our products. In the past years, we’ve received complaints that we do not do promotions or that they are not visible enough. There is an ongoing discussion about this here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProtonMail/comments/9zmuwp/advertisement_on_protonmail/

Please feel free to add your feedback. We will make an analysis of this year’s promotion and strive to do better next year. It’s quite difficult to find the right balance. Unfortunately, we also need revenue to develop new features and keep providing the free service giving that we do not abuse private data for advertising purposes as other companies choose to build their business plans.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

you say to people in with my problem “You probably have a 2-year plan active on your account already. This means you already have this deal, which is why you don’t see the button.”

I read
    “If you are already a paying ProtonMail user and you take advantage of this promotion, the new plan you select will replace your existing plan. However, when you go to check out, we will automatically credit you the unused balance of your existing subscription, and this is added as a proration credit. Thus, you don’t lose the money you paid for your existing plan.”
    and
    “Account credit (in the currency of your last payment) can be applied toward your next subscription. Credit is obtained when you make a payment through Bitcoin or when you cancel or downgrade an active subscription with any number of days left.”

I don’t have any account credit, so I do NOT have this deal.

• Hello! Please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form and we will assist you with this issue. Don’t worry, we will find a solution.

• I dont see that icon and cant get the deal either. Im a 2year plan paying customer, but as an existing customer obviously I like to see that you promote this to me to. All I get is “Invalid code” when trying to apply this deal.

Please fix this

• Hi Toni! You don’t see the deal button because you already took the deal last year. Please contact us at protonmail.com/support-form and we will help you with this issue.