ProtonMail Android BETA v1.0.10 Release Notes

Encrypted Email Android App

We are happy to announce the release of ProtonMail Android v1.0.10! Full release notes below.

To learn more about how to get the ProtonMail Android mobile app beta, you can visit this page: https://protonmail.com/secure-email-app

New Features:
– Decrypt PGP/MIME messages from non-ProtonMail senders
– Access downloaded messages offline
– Support for special characters (eg. emojis)
– Option to turn off automatic background syncing in settings to save power
– Support for attachments for 64-bit devices
– Share multiple images via Protonmail app

Bug Fixes:
– Fixed bugs related to missing line breaks in PGP messages
– Fixed bugs related to downloading large attachments
– Fixed synchronization issues between Android app and web app
– Fixed crashes related to clicking on push notifications
– Fixed crashes related to taking photos within the app
– Fixed crashes related to searching on some devices

Improvements:
– Added more information to push notifications
– Significantly reduced power consumption
– Automatic capitalization in editor
– Some minor design improvements

Known Issues:
– Only Android 4.0+ is supported
– Account creation is disabled
– Login from mobile is only allowed for accounts registered in our mobile beta program
– Draft autosave is not yet enabled
– App is not yet optimized for tablet

28 comments on “ProtonMail Android BETA v1.0.10 Release Notes

• So, if someone sends me a PGP message from say Countermail or using enigmail with Thunderbird, does this mean the app will be able to decrypt it? Is this also true of the webmail interface now?

• Werdet ihr die App, wenn sie open-source wird auch im F-Droid Store anbieten? Ansonsten wäre alles ja für nichts wenn ich trotzdem noch den Play Store brauche im automatische Updates zu erhalten…

• Hi, congrats on reaching this far!

How close are we to getting a full-fledged app available on the Google Play Store?

• Hey guys congrats for the amazing work that you’re doing.
    In August 30, I made a donation with confirmation number 7PD84669F23285730. I just want to chech if everything is okay with the possibility to get the app.

• I donated for the instant access of my user name. However, I would also like to have access to your mobile Android Beta App. Could you let me know how I may donate the additional amount?

• Hi

I have contacted protonmail a couple of times now but no reply.This included emailing protonmail on 11th october using contact@protonmail.ch
    I donated $29 about a month ago and have not yet received the Android protonmail app. Please could you update me with what is going on with it?

Wondering how safe the app is during Beta. It seems that during Beta everything has to go through Crashlytics. Can I trust that my account and mailbox passwords and messages to remain safe during Beta testing? In my attempt to “research” Crashlytics by checking out their website I couldn’t find anything about them. Thanks in advance for your reply.

• I would like to translate your services, but I could not find you on Transifex, Weblate, WebTranslateIt, Zanata or similiar translation-networks. How may I contribute translations?

• I sure would like to see ProtonMail release an exclusive APK version that does not require Google Play at all. Many users, of whom may have also rooted their android phones are rightfully concerned about Google’s intrusive over-reach and forced integration [ which in turn promulgates even further unwanted intrusions of ad-marketers into our lives, thereby putting our (PII) at even greater risk ], are reluctant to use apps from the Google Play Store, which is why alternatives exist and why we would like to see ProtonMail step up to the plate in this regard by making an APK version that can be downloaded directly from ProtonMail.com rather than Google Play.

I understand why many developers use Google Play, but it would only be fair to also cater to the demographic of users whom do not wish to be tied down to Google. This is the main reason why most usually root their phones because we’re tired of corporate intrusions and control over our personal lives.

Please develop an android apk that we can download direct from you site ProtonMail.com or at least consider an alternative AppStore as a means for us to choose the best option for our needs.

Thank you.