ProtonMail BETA v1.14 Release Notes

We’re excited to announce the release of ProtonMail v1.14! With this new update, you will notice that we’ve implemented a number of important usability improvements to ProtonMail. As usual, if you encounter any problems, please clear your browser cache or log out and log back in. Here’s a quick introduction to the new features:

Sending/Receiving from ProtonMail.com

protonmailcomemailsend

All ProtonMail accounts now support sending and receiving from both ProtonMail.ch and ProtonMail.com domains. This means that you can send/receive mail as [username]@protomail.ch OR [username]@protonmail.com. To choose which email to use when sending, it’s easy as choosing from the dropdown menu from the compose page next to the “From” box. You can go into settings to set which email you would like to serve as your default email address for outgoing emails. For a more detailed explanation, please check our knowledge base article.

New Homepage Design / Login on Homepage

ProtonMail New Home

Did you notice our homepage has a completely new look? We’ve put some effort into redesigning the homepage to be more usable and accessible – now we’re happy to finally unveil the new design to you. With this latest update, you can now login to ProtonMail directly from the front page! We’ve also made navigation throughout the website easier so you can get to the page you want faster. In addition to these usability improvements, we’ve also created new informative pages about the benefits of using ProtonMail and our security features.

New Blog Design

ProtonMail New Blog Design

In addition to the homepage, we redesigned our blog too. You will notice that we’ve improved readability quite a bit and made the blog a bit more pleasing to the eye. We’ve put a lot of thought into how to best format our blog posts and now it’s easier than ever to browse the ProtonMail blog. The blog now also features thumbnails that help you recognize events and posts.

ProtonMail Knowledge Base

ProtonMail Knowledge Base

Have you ever had a ProtonMail question but didn’t know where to look? Don’t worry, we’ve created our knowledge base so now you’ll be able to look for answers, tutorials and facts about ProtonMail all in one place. With the knowledge base, you’ll also be able to help out by giving valuable feedback ProtonMail needs for improvement through the report bugs and request features buttons!

Thank you for all the support that you’ve given us. It’s because of the community of ProtonMail users that we are able to develop towards our ultimate goal of protecting privacy everywhere online. We have exciting news coming up soon, so please stay tuned.

Here are the detailed ProtonMail BETA v1.14 Release Notes:

• New homepage design.
  • New blog design.
  • Support sending emails from protonmail.com
  • All existing protonmail.ch accounts now support protonmail.com (see our Knowledge Base for more info)
  • Added login form to the homepage.
  • Added a knowledge base with tutorials and commonly asked questions.

• Fixed a bug where the “Back to Home” button wouldn’t work after submitting a bug report.
  • Fixed a bug where filtering emails in specific ways could result in a buggy inbox display.
  • Fixed a bug where sending an email email could show an empty <div&rt; tag for some email service providers.
  • Fixed a bug where spaces in file names could make the attachment link displays look buggy.
  • Fixed bugs related to duplicate contacts.
  • Fixed a bug for Windows users where the mouse cursor could disappear on first page load on the compose page.
  • Fixed formatting on quoted emails not being properly spaced.

Improvements

• Improved UX to work on mobile devices with messages that have 30+ recipients.
  • You can now delete all drafts at once if you want.
  • Improved support for IE in general.
  • Improved the handling of special characters in message titles.
  • Improved support for mobile drag and drop.
  • Reworked the “Sent” folder to show who the message was sent to more clearly.
  • Reworked the AutoSave functionality to be more reliable and faster.

Known Issues

• Account creation on mobile devices is unreliable
  • Encrypted attachments not yet enabled

Security Fixes

• XSS fix where if you intercepted headers and modified them, our error page might be able to reflect them back.

74 comments on “ProtonMail BETA v1.14 Release Notes

• I really like the new look of the homepage and blog! Thanks for making it a step easier for logging into the email! It is getting better every time. Keep up the good work!!!!

• Great update! Especially nice to be able to send from the .com address. 🙂

Question: This isn’t a bug (as far as I know). More of a design issue, I guess. Why do my messages have *two* scroll bars? (See here.) They both affect the same message, but the inside-most bar is longer and only scrolls down part way. The outside-most bar is shorter and scrolls the full length of the message. It would seem the inside bar is unnecessary. But why is it there?

• Thanks for update keep up good work! 😉

Few things to note:

1. It’s not possible to sign in from your homepage ( wrong username or password notification)

2. There is no information in your blog regarding protonmail. com addresses or tutorial.

• I appreciate your painstaking efforts to improve ProtonMail. I hope to be able to use it for my mails all the way through some day when some features are implemented.

– creating subfolders for under inbox and sent folders

– encryption of attachments

– android app

are essential for me.

Thanks anyway.

• I’ve worked it out! lol Nice feature, nicely implemented. Just waiting for folders now… 😉 Keep up the good work!

• There is a dropdown tab next to your email address when you compose a new email or write a draft. It will give you the option to choose the .ch or .com version of your email.

• We’re finishing up development for the iOS app and planning on developing the Android app soon after. Stay tuned

• looks very nice Team!!!
    I am using my protonmail account daily but waiting for androind app yet, hope this appa will be development soon..

• It does not work for me to log in through the front page (I tried both username and full protonmail address, several times).

• very good services from protonmail!Wasn’t expecting such a good and fast SECURE MAIL!You will have a bright future if you continue this way!Thank you for this wonderfull FREE mail service!

• hi there,

keep up with the good work as usual. however my question is: why enable to .com extension? why try to be conventional and acceptable? users don’t choose protonmail because they want the usual commercial service, so my concern is that the company will slowly comply with what’s already in the market and loose their specificity.

all the best

• Users have the ability to use both .com or .ch, whichever is their preference. We wanted to offer this feature to give users for more flexibility in their email address.

• Is there ever a point where you need more real world user testing for pre-releases. I enjoy the testing process, troubleshooting and such and I am sure others out here would also. I have looked and unless I overlooked it I didn’t see anything anywhere on the site where you can offer help of this manner. Great site and it’s a shame we live in a world now where this has become a necessity. But you guys are doing a great job and I commend you all.

• When are you going to give us the ability to create custom folders? You’ve been promising this but never implement it.

I hate having tons of email in just one Inbox folder. It would be so much better to be able to move various emails to different folders for better email management.

I really do love this service. Keep it coming!

• We’re looking to implement this soon. We have a lot of new features we’re planning to develop into ProtonMail within the next few months, please stay tuned. Thank you for your patience and support.

• Great work!

With every release protonmail comes closer to becoming my primary email. Others have already listed the features that are lacking for me to go 100% to protonmail. But you are tantalizingly close.

Thanks for all your work.

• At this time, we are sending out invitations to new users weekly in order to ensure stability while we are still developing ProtonMail in its BETA stages. Thank you for your patience.

• Would love to use your system and tell all my correpondents about it. I already forwarded Andy Yen’s talk on TED.
    I see there is a waiting list, what do you need from me, please?

• You can request a new ProtonMail account at ProtonMail.ch/sign-up. At this time, we are sending out invitations to new users weekly in order to ensure stability while we are still developing ProtonMail in its BETA stages. Thank you for your patience.

• Could the ability to use SMS as a notification/recovery method instead of a requiring a second email be something likely to be implemented in the future?

Awesome project and your efforts are much appreciated.

• Hello Proton Email Team!

Iam absolutely satisfied with this email service! Finally I found what I was looking for!

Thank you very much. I will be spreading info about your great email service!

P.O, Slovakia

• Printing email worked well a version or two ago, but now there are some problems with it again.

HTML code now appears between the “Send/Receive” header and the body of the email. How much depends on the formatting in the email.

The time stamp is wrong again. It is back to being machine readable instead of human format.

I hope these will be fixed soon.

Otherwise I like the new look. Keep up the good work.

• ‘Themes’ would be nice, more specifically, I’d like to change the colour of the main part of the screen to something other than white. Use of an image would be even better !

Also, an option to set how long you would like to leave your browser logged in for – minutes, hours, even days….

How about the option of a 10 second delay before actually sending the mail, allowing for the use of an ‘UNDO’ button after clicking ‘SEND’. Hmmm, I wonder where I got that idea…..

Great work Protonmail – thank you.

• Thanks for the update, keep up the good work!

Feature request:

I would like to see an option to “show images” by default. Maybe have a switch in preferences to select the default action?

Thanks.

• UX issue: I think the “Trash” button above my email list should be changed to “Delete”.

I think you should avoid using “trash” as a verb, and use “delete” instead. “Trash” above the email list could be read as a verb and mean “trash my message”, but could also be taken to be a noun and mean “take me to the trash folder”, so it is ambiguous and confusing in this context. In the list on the left, “Trash” is unambiguous since it is listed together with other nouns.

Thank you very much for your mail system. I feel a lot safer here.

Could we have some day the possibility of creating sub-folders to the inbox and add rules so that we could redirect emails to these sub folders? It’s the only thing I regret from my previous mail provider.

Thank you!

Regards,

Anne

• looking forward to subfolders

very important: can you please include a function to either print or save several documents /emails at once, ie print all emails from Joe

That would be great.

• Ah, thank you then!

Another suggestion: could we have the emails sorted as “conversations” too, one day?

I’ll be patient. 🙂

Regards,

Anne

• Doing a great job with everything, but I do have a feature request that I don’t think would be too difficult to implement. Regarding the contacts screen, it would be great if we could select multiple so to avoid the need to delete each “imported” contact individually. It would also be wonderful if we could add titles to the contact so it identifies them where they work etc. and maybe an area where it also has an option where we could put in phone numbers for the contacts. Just a thought, but keep up the great work.

• You can now delete all drafts at once if you want – cool
    Improved the handling of special characters in message titles – nice

• 您好,我来自中国。非常感谢您的团队开发出的这个邮箱,我们都非常喜欢。我想问一下什么时候会推出手机客户端?谢谢。