ProtonMail Waiting List Update

Dear Early Adopters,

A lot of progress has been made since our last waiting list update.  Our major infrastructure upgrades went smoothly and have made ProtonMail even more reliable, secure, and ready to take in more users than ever before.  We are pleased to announce that we have sent out close to 300,000 invites in the last several months!

For users who signed up on the waiting list before January 15th 2015, the wait is now over. If you signed up before January 15th, you should have received an invitation email. Unfortunately, it is possible this invite email was lost in your spam folder or dropped by your current email service provider (AOL.com for instance has had some issues lately).  If you registered for ProtonMail before January 15th and are still waiting, please kindly email us at contact@protonmail.ch with your username or outside email so we can try resending your invite.

For our new friends who only found out about ProtonMail recently, your wait will not be as long! We are inviting new users every week and will very soon, almost surely, approach instant access. The next several months will be very exciting as we will be deploying some long-awaited features and announce some more good news. Thanks again for your patience and support as we improve ProtonMail!

Best regards,

62 comments on “ProtonMail Waiting List Update

• If I want to sign up, you ask me to join a waiting list and use an email address so you can alert me. In the box it says “gmail, hotmail, yahoo etc”. If I did that, I would already be leaking a username that can be linked to that email address I have to enter for the alerts, which would then be input to the metadata captured by the authorities. So you need a secure way of actually exchanging the request for a username via an encrypted email exchanged between your company and the user.

Granted, if you do use this email alert feature, and you get an email, it’s gonna be encrypted communications once you get the email address and send emails using it. But I don’t necessarily want any form of username for this site linked to a current email address which could be linked together through metadata by the NSA.

• The notification email for the waiting list is only there for invitation purposes while we’re still in beta. Once you are invited, the email is no longer used for any purpose. We’re working towards instant access, and at that point no notification email will ever be necessary.

• I agree with John. I am not a big fan of linking my information with a provider that already knows a lot about me. I can wait Jason for the instant access. Thanks.

• Using TOR you could set up a temporary account with a somewhat less publicised service for purposes of receiving notifications from ProtonMail.

• I am very happy to read and hear about the reality of the digital world.. especially the implications of abuse of this behemoth cruiser. My privacy is as important as everyone here, I look forward to the invite soon.

Again, thank you for all that you have done.

• I just completed the invite request on March 6th. Wondering how long the wait will be now that you guys had a TED event for publicity.

• At this time, we are sending out invitations to new users weekly in order to ensure stability while we are still developing ProtonMail in its BETA stages. Thank you for your patience.

• I was wondering why it asks for our own email address, will it just delete it self with a timer like it said at TED?

• We only ask for notification emails while we are still in Beta, because we want to ensure stability while we are developing essential features. You’ll receive an invitation when your account is ready from the waiting list.

• You can request a new ProtonMail account at ProtonMail.ch/sign-up. At this time, we are sending out invitations to new users weekly in order to ensure stability while we are still developing ProtonMail in its BETA stages. Thank you for your patience.

• Good day!

First of all thank you so much for the great innovative work!
    Would it be possible to get an approximate waiting delay please as of march 2015?

Many thanks in advance!!

SJ

• Are you looking to leverage two factor authentication such as Google Authenticator? Seems like a GREAT option to keep secure mail more secure.

• 2FA need not involve SMS. There’s a TOTP standard which can be implemented by an app (e.g. Authy for Android, iOS, desktop apps) or by a hardware device (e.g. Yubikey).

• This is so great and its the first technology that positively seems to uphold a set of the truest privacy policies,protection and security systems that I’ve ever came across.. Looks like it matches my belief system. Thank you for coming into exsistance! Looking forward to the hopes of having a new email account with Proton Mail!

• Thank you for the comment, we send out invitations on a daily basis. You should receive an invitation in a week or so.

• Hi, I registered for the waiting list on April 2nd. Could you give me a approximate time that I’ll receive an invite? I love the concept and would love to register.

Regards,

Michael

• Thank you for the comment Michael, we send out invitations on a daily basis. You should receive an invitation in a week or so.

• I don’t know how long I have to wait ,as I have been on the list since 31/04/15 is this not long enough? And should I be a bit more patient
    Kind Regards
    John

• Hi, I registered for the waiting list on April 27th, its now May 9th. Could you give me a approximate time that I’ll receive an invite since I heard that the Time is 1 week, even though it’s now been 2 weeks? I love the concept and would love to register!

Regards,

Sir Isaac.

• Thank you for creating ProtonMail and offering it for free. Are there plans to release a paid version for upgrades such as more storage?

• Thank you for the comment. Yes we plan on offering additional paid features alongside our dedicated free service.

• Is it possible for a user to invite someone to your service instead of having to wait on the waiting list? I believe I read on reddit that this is a thing.

• Hi, could you please give me an indication as to how long an invite will take.
    I have registerd on May 21. Thanks alot.
    Your email service looks very promissing,
    looking forward to using it!

• Just recently heard about this service.

Hope the wait isn’t too long. Added myself to the waiting list today.

If all goes well, this will be my new primary email provider.

• Your site boasts that we can register for this service without having to give you our email address. However, when I clicked “Sign me up”, the very next page asked me for my email address. You even ask for it on this comments page! And my name as well. Is this all a big joke, or have you just not thought it through very well?

• Hi, there
    I checked proton mail waiting list, and it shows that, a invitation mail was send to my email, but i didn’t get one, maybe i accidentally deleted the mail. I need help to get the invitation back. Thanks

• I just signed up today, how long will I wait to receive an invitation? Also, I am so happy that I found this site that truly believes in privacy, I can’t wait to use it. Thank you in advance. :*

• Well Done Guys! Have been hearing good things. Signed up in the week and cannot wait for my invitation email.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,

JB

• Hi. I’m just wondering how long on average we should expect to wait for an invite. I’m happy to make a donation if my account could get set up sooner, rather than later. Any longer and i’ll have to go with StartMail. My mate says he’s been waiting for his invite since 3 months ago ? lol!

• I have signed up in mid-July and haven’t heard anything yet..
    As you mentioned you would be sending out invitations in late-Aug which means you have increased your capacity already so please can you update us on the waiting list?

• Hi, how long it takes to receive the account-invite mail? I request at 21st of September and still I don’t receive. Thanks.

• Hi, I signed up at the beginning of Feb 2016 and check my inbox like crazy hoping for an invitation but still nothing. I guess great things come to those who wait 🙂