In this article, we show you how to create new contacts in Proton Contacts and how to import contacts from a CSV or VCF file.
Add individual contacts
To add a new contact to your contacts list:
1. Sign in to mail.protonmail.com and go to Contacts → Add new contact.
2. Fill in the new contact’s details and click Save.
If you wish to add contacts from a different email provider or contact list, you must first obtain a CSV or VCF file that contains the contacts you wish to add. See Exporting contacts from other mail providers for a guide on how to obtain this file.
Once you have the list of contacts you wish to add, please ensure your file is formatted in UTF-8 and follow these steps:
1. Sign in to mail.protonmail.com and go to Contacts → Settings tab → Import contacts.
2. Drag the contacts file to the import window or click the Choose a file or drag it here button and locate the file using your system’s file management software. Click Import.
3. A window will open showing how our contact import algorithm will automatically map the header fields from the contacts file to the VCard header fields that Proton Contacts uses. You can manually adjust these if you wish. When you are ready, click Import.