Bitwarden is an open source password manager that lets you store all your passwords in one central, secure location. In this article, we show you how to use Bitwarden on your desktop or mobile devices to store and enter your ProtonMail login details.
You can find Bitwarden’s apps for all major platforms on its download page.
Bitwarden offers near-identical apps for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It also offers browser add-ons for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, and more. In this tutorial, we’ll use the Chrome browser extension to log in to ProtonMail. It is not necessary to install the desktop app for your system in order to use a browser add-on.
1. Install the browser add-on and Log in using your existing Bitwarden credentials, or Create account if you don’t have one yet.
2. Visit account.protonmail.com in your browser and open the Bitwarden browser add-on.
If this is your first time using Bitwarden, select Add item, give the entry a name (such as ProtonMail) and fill in your ProtonMail Username and Password. Click Save when you are ready. If you have used Bitwarden before, click the + button to add a new Login entry.
3. Give the entry a name (such as ProtonMail), fill in your ProtonMail Username and Password, then click Save. Bitwarden will auto-fill the URL from the web page you are on.
3. On the ProtonMail login page at account.protonmail.com, click on the Bitwarden add-on button in your browser’s toolbar. Then simply select the ProtonMail entry and Bitwarden will auto-fill your login credentials.
Note: For brevity, we have skipped steps that simply ask you to confirm your Bitwarden master password. This process can be greatly sped up by opening the Bitwarden app and going to Settings → Unlock with Touch ID.
1. Install the Bitwarden app and Log in using your existing Bitwarden credentials, or Create account if you don’t have one yet.
2. Set up Auto-fill Password in iOS/iPadOS using the steps provided on the Bitwarden website here.
3. Open the ProtonMail app and tap Passwords (above your keyboard).
4. Tap the + icon to create a new entry.
5. Give the entry a name (such as ProtonMail), fill in your ProtonMail Username and Password, then tap Save.
6. Tap your newly created entry to auto-fill the password into the ProtonMail app (if you need to sign into the app again, simply tap Passwords (Step 3) to access this screen).
Note that it is not possible to take screenshots of Bitwarden in Android due to a security policy, but it looks very similar to the iOS version.
1.Install the Bitwarden app and Log in using your existing Bitwarden credentials or Create account if you don’t have one yet.
2. Set up Android Auto-fill Service using the steps provided on the Bitwarden website here.
3. Open the ProtonMail app and tap the Bitwarden auto-fill icon.
3. Go to My vault and tap the + icon to add a new Login item (or ADD AN ITEM if you are a new user).
4. Fill in your ProtonMail Username and Password. Bitwarden will auto-populate the Name and URI fields, although you might want to rename the entry to something more user-friendly (such as ProtonMail). Tap Save when you are ready.
4. Open the ProtonMail app again and select the ProtonMail auto-fill entry.