When you upgrade to a premium account on ProtonMail you can choose which currency you want to use for payment. The current available currencies are Euro (EUR), United States Dollar (USD) and the Swiss Franc (CHF).
You can select the currency you want to use, and proceed with the upgrade. All subsequent payments will be made in that currency, unless you change it yourself.
If you have already upgraded and you want to change the used currency, you need to do the following steps:
- Change the currency to the one you want to use
- Scroll down to the premium plan options
- Click on “Update Plus” or “Update Visionary”, depending on which plan you are using
- A pop-up window will appear for the payment to be processed
- On the left side of the pop-up you will see the cost of the plan, as well as how much credit you have and how much you will be charged
- Click on Submit and your payment currency will be updated.
Changing the currency also extends the duration of your premium plan, which means you will be charged again, but not the full amount. Depending on how long the plan has been used, you will be only charged the difference for the extension. If you pay monthly on the 10th of August the premium plan will last until the 10th of September. If you then decide to change the currency on the 20th of August, the plan will be extended until the 20th of September and you will only be charged for the 10 day difference, not the full amount for one month.