ProtonMail can send notification emails to any email address you choose to alert you that messages have arrived in your ProtonMail inbox and custom folders.
ProtonMail’s notification email system will not spam you with notifications. Notifications are only sent if:
- It has been 24 hours since you logged into your account.*
- There are new messages in your inbox (messages that have already been read but are then marked as unread do not count).
No more than 1 notification email is sent out per day. We do not currently support notifications for individual emails, as this would increase the load on our servers and opens the possibility of our users being subjected to spam.
* If you access your ProtonMail account and then leave it (for example, if you sign out or close your browser), the 24-hour waiting period will reset. A new received email will trigger a notification within an hour or two.
How to enable notification emails
1. Log in to mail.protonmail.com and go to Settings → Account → Password & recovery → Recovery & notification.
2. Enter the email address that you want your notification emails to be sent to. This is also the address we will use for email recovery. If you provided a recovery address when you set up your new ProtonMail account, ensure it is correct.
3. Enable Daily email notifications.
Providing ProtonMail with an email address for notification emails and email recovery means we know that email address. If ProtonMail is issued with a legally binding Swiss court order telling us to turn over this email address, we must comply. If you delete the email address from your Settings page, it is permanently deleted from our system.
If you have received an email notification but can’t find the new messages when you log in to your ProtonMail account:
- Check your All mail folder.
- Ensure you are logged into the correct ProtonMail account.
If you can’t remember your ProtonMail account details, the first letter of your ProtonMail username for the account that sent the notification is shown in the message subject line. If you’re still not sure of your ProtonMail username, please visit Forgot Your Username?
If you don’t want to receive notification emails, log in to mail.protonmail.com, go to Settings → Account → Password & recovery → Recovery & notification, and disable Daily email notifications.
ProtonMail also supports Desktop Notifications. Learn more about Desktop Notifications.