You can import calendars from other calendar apps and services into Proton Calendar.
It is also possible to create custom calendars in Proton Calendar. This is useful for organizing your own time (for example, having separate calendars for home and work), and for creating calendars that you wish to share with different groups of people.
If you are using our Free plan, you can create one additional calendar. If you subscribe to any of our paid plans, you can create up to 20 calendars.
Once a calendar is created or imported into Proton Calendar, you can edit, delete, or export it as an iCalendar (ICS) file that can be imported into most third-party calendar apps and services.
Custom calendars can currently be created using our web app.
How to create a custom calendar
1. Log in to calendar.protonmail.com and go to Settings → Go to settings → Proton Calendar → Calendars → Create calendar.
Alternatively, in the sidebar of the main calendar screen, go to My Calendars → +.
2. You can now fill in the calendar details:
- Name – a name for the calendar. As you can see from the screenshots, this name can include any standard emoji.
- Choose a color – this is the color used to display events from this calendar in the main calendar view.
- Default email – select one of your ProtonMail email addresses from the dropdown list. Event invitations will be sent using this address.
- Display – whether or not thiss calendar is shown in the main calendaer view.
- Description – this is an opportunity to provide additional details about what this calendar is for.
- Default event duration – the default duration for new events that are assigned to this calendar.
- Default notifications – by default, these event notifications are used for all events assigned to this calendar. You can adjust these for individual events when creating a new event or editing an existing event.
- Default full-day notifications – by default, Proton Calendar will notify you one day before an event starts. You can modify this or add additional full-day notifications here.
Click Create when you’re done. You can now select the newly created calendar when you create or edit an event.
How to edit a calendar
To edit a custom calendar or a calendar that you have imported:
1. Log in to calendar.protonmail.com and go to Settings → Go to settings → Proton Calendar → Calendars → Actions → Edit.
Or, in the sidebar of the main calendar screen, go to My Calendars → click on the 3-dot horizontal ellipse Manage Calendar icon → Edit.
2. Customize the calendar as described above for creating a new calendar. Click Update when you’re done.
Set a calendar as default
You can change the default calendar used when creating or importing events to any calendar that you have created or imported.
1. Log in to calendar.protonmail.com and go to Settings → Go to settings → Proton Calendar → Calendars.
2. Select Set as default from the dropdown menu in the Actions column.
Export a calendar
To export a custom calendar or a calendar that you have imported:
1. Log in to calendar.protonmail.com and go to Settings → Go to settings → Proton Calendar → Calendars → Actions. Select Export ICS from the dropdown menu in the Actions column.
2. Proton Calendar will decrypt and export your calendar locally inside your browser. Click Save ICS file to save it to your device in ICS format.
Delete a calendar
You will be asked to confirm that you really want to delete the calendar. If you’re sure, click Delete.