Introducing pm.me – a short email domain for ProtonMail

Starting today, we are making it possible for everyone to add a @pm.me email address to your ProtonMail account, at no cost!

For a long time, some members of our community have been asking us for a shorter, easy-to-share email address. Part of this comes from the difficulty of spelling out P-R-O-T-O-N-M-A-I-L over the phone. Even back in 2015, we started looking into how to support this. It was not an easy task, since the domain name needed to be short, obtainable (not ridiculously expensive), memorable, not confusing, and related to ProtonMail somehow.

Domains that were tried, but ultimate rejected included pmail.com (too easily confused with Gmail), pm.co (too easily confused with .com), pm.com (unobtainable), pm.ch (the Swiss government wouldn’t give us this one), and proton.ch (not quite short enough). Finally, this led us to pm.me.

We like pm.me for several reasons, and ultimately we think it’s a good choice. First, at 4 letters long, it is pretty much as short as you can make a domain. Furthermore, it is a clever word play, as PM is the universal abbreviation for “private message”, and keeping your messages and communications private (as they should be) is precisely what ProtonMail does. Thus, we like to think of pm.me as “private message me” or “ProtonMail me“.

It also helps that .me domains are starting to become more popular and visible (for example, fb.me used by Facebook, paypal.me used by PayPal). In obtaining the pm.me domain name, we are happy to have the support of domain.me, the company that manages the .ME TLD for Montenegro. ME domains typically are between 3 and 63 letters, but thanks to their support, we were able to obtain a two-letter domain.

How pm.me can be used

As a company, we will continue to use protonmail.com as our main domain name. However, every ProtonMail user will be able to activate a separate pm.me email address at no cost (if you are a new user, you can do it after you sign up). For example, if your username is john, you can activate john@pm.me to go with your existing john@protonmail.com address. All users can receive mail at their @pm.me email address, but sending from @pm.me addresses will be limited to paid users (however, if you are a free user and get an email at username@pm.me, you can still reply using username@protonmail.com).

We hope that by making ProtonMail email addresses easier than ever to share, it will contribute to the increased usage of ProtonMail and help to fulfill our vision of an internet where everybody can benefit from the security of encrypted email.

Activating your pm.me address

First, you need to be a ProtonMail user. If you’re not, you can create an account here. Afterwards, log in using the web version of ProtonMail at mail.protonmail.com, and follow these two simple steps:

1.  Go to Settings -> pm.me
2.  Click on the “Activate @pm.me” button

For more details, you can visit our pm.me support page.

For those who have been waiting for years for this feature, thanks for your patience! With your support, we look forward to adding even more features in the near future that will continue to make ProtonMail the best encrypted email service.

You can get a free secure email account from ProtonMail here.

We also provide a free VPN service to protect your privacy.

ProtonMail and ProtonVPN are funded by community contributions. If you would like to support our development efforts, you can upgrade to a paid plan or donate. Thank you for your support!

Andy Yen

Andy is a founder of ProtonMail. He is a long time advocate of privacy rights and has spoken at TED, SXSW, and the Asian Investigative Journalism Conference about online privacy issues. Previously, Andy was a research scientist at CERN and has a PhD in Particle Physics from Harvard University. You can watch his TED talk online to learn more about ProtonMail's mission.

23 comments on “Introducing pm.me – a short email domain for ProtonMail

• If you have a paid account and wish to send from it, you can add it like any other address. No special treatment. 🙂

• Thank you ProtonMail for caring so much about our “user experience”!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we will win in the end. Internet privacy advocates (IPAs) will win everything we’ve hoped for! Just a reminder – IPAs have already changed the leadership of the free world with a leak (Hillary). Whoever leaked Hillary’s emails changed the world. You can too!

Support ProtonMail, TOR, SecureDrop, etc.!

• Thank you for this nifty addition. I have long loved the idea of a mature yet convenient email environment, so this is another box ticked for me. Know that your work is much appreciated!

• new features, more options – great. BUT how about the basics ?? Calendar and Contacts sync.
    4 years I kept an eye on ProtonMail waiting to be able to transition from other providers but … still no-go 🙁

you folks need help ? because these are super easy these days, a lot of free modules on github.

• Finally! I have been holding off on really moving over to ProtonMail. The IMAP support is welcomed as well. Worth paying for these features.

• We would be happy to offer everything for free, but as we do not have any revenue from ads or selling user data such as other services, we need to have premium features. This brings us the revenue we require to continue to grow and protect all our users.

• But an domain not is motive to not generate revenue. Exist others types of limitations and Protonmail not think in your users of free account. Why offers Free account if think only in paid users? Protonmail not increase numbers of messages per day in free account, not increase storage space, not exist new benefic. Alternatives of revenue exist, but Protonmail only focused in paid users. The account free only exist without real benefic and support.

• The user not request an service completely free, only more beneficies in account free. It is different. I recommend that Protonmail look to all users free or not. 😉

• If you believe in something you should support it. We pay for Protonmail because they’re offering a good service.

• Love ProtonMail and we are telling all our business partners to start using it, with a very high adoption rate.

But you guys are too stingy with some of the features. As a paid user, I have to waste precious addresses to get the pm.me version. This really should be included for free for us paid users, at least above a certain tier.
    It’s also not clear if anyone can create a pm.me address – even if the protonmail.com address version already exists. If so…that’s really bad.
    Clarification would be appreciated.

Also, if you insist on forcing people to give up their alloted email accounts to get a pm.me version, at least make it easier to ONLY upgrade the number of email addresses per account. Currenlty we have to upgrade the whole plan, which is overkill.

My final quibble is with Bridge. There are issues with it on Windows AND Mac , whether we’re using Thunderbird or Apple Mail (haven’t tried Outlook and never will). Yes we sent a ticket but the issue may be with the clients themselves and not something you guys can fix. Either way, we’re not holding our breath. It would be GREAT if ProtonMail could come up with a way to avoid having to use Bridge altogether, or at least expand the list of email clients it works with (and fix the bugs, please).
    Better yet – make a Windows and Mac email client. Your iOS and Android clients are wonderful to use! Maybe you can extend that experience to desktop computer users (all 5 of us).

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

• Hi, Sean! Thank you for the kind words and for your valuable feedback. We will think of the points you mentioned. Regarding the pm.me address, this is blocked for the respective ProtonMail account, so no one can get a pm.me address with your username if you don’t get it.

I wish you a beautiful day,
      Irina

• All the users can add contacts by entering the name and email address. Please scroll down and click ‘Save’. Are you able to do this?
    If you want to add details for the contacts like a number, address and other information, you have to be a paid account

This means protonmail don’t give as free account .As was in the past .You make restriction .Good to know and inform society about your restriction .This also means you are not better the another free account .Just gain a lot of money .This is protonmail purpose  .Allure people for your server and then say pay $$$$$.

• Thanks PM, nice idea to have a short email alias. Looking forward to calendar features coming this year!

Great service and you should definitely charge a bit for it. In Asia, the servers are a bit slow despite having giga internet access. May be good to think about that as well.