ProtonMail BETA v3.1 Release Notes

The release notes for ProtonMail v3.1 are below, it has already been released to a small number of users. This is one of our largest updates to date, and will be released to all users later this week, please check Twitter and Facebook for the official announcement later this week. Our app is still delayed by the Apple/US Gov approval process, but we have decided not to wait for mobile app approval before releasing 3.1. We are currently making the code changes to enable this to be released separately. ProtonMail 3.1 will be released to existing users, the waiting list for new users will stay in place until mobile apps are approved.

New Features Summary

Custom Domains

Custom Domains Dashboard

For the first time, you can now use any domain you own as your email domain while maintaining the security and privacy you have come to expect with ProtonMail. Custom domains allows you to use ProtonMail as your mail server, receiving and sending encrypted email by default through all domains that use ProtonMail as their mail server. You can link up to 10 custom domains with a single account. We also support advanced anti-spam features for custom domains such as SPF, DKIM, and DMARC.

Storage

Increased Storage ProtonMail

ProtonMail now supports accounts with up to 20GB of storage space. Our flexible plans allow storage capacity to be increased or decreased with a single click. Our redundant storage systems ensures your encrypted data is replicated 4 times across two physically separate datacenters in Switzerland for high availability and security.

+ Aliases

+ Aliases

This feature has actually been available since the ProtonMail 3.0 release, but we forgot to announce it. Having multiple email addresses can be very helpful in organizing and sorting through your inbox.  Your ProtonMail email address now has multiple addresses built right into it. Just add a “+” after your username and before “@domain.com,” to create a new email address that will be delivered right to your existing inbox. For example, if your email is username@protonmail.com, email sent to username+soccerclub@protonmail.com will also be delivered to your inbox. In an upcoming release, we will be adding filters and filter rules, so you can automatically sort and label emails you receive.

Addresses

ProtonMail Addresses

In addition to addresses for your custom domain, ProtonMail also supports other ProtonMail addresses. For example, you can have two ProtonMail addresses, such as username@protonmail.com and username2@protonmail.com both deliver mail to the same account, and you can send as either address from your account. Individual accounts can have up to 50 addresses.

Version 3.1 Release Notes

• Ability to increase sending limits
  • Ability to increase storage capacity up to 20 GB
  • Ability to add up to 10 custom domains
  • Ability to add up to 50 addresses to a single account
  • Ability to remove the limit on the number of labels (currently 20)
  • Support for 4096-bit keys for increased security
  • Separate encryption keys for each address for better OpenPGP compliance and security

• Many responsive design improvements for smaller resolution screens and mobile

Improvements

• Increased front end performance by approximately 200%

Known Issues

•  PGP key export/import functionality still missing, will be done for next release.
  • Some mobile responsive issues remain
  • Numerous existing UI issues with the composer remain to be fixed, composer will be rebuilt in the next release

Please report bugs here: https://protonmail.com/support

243 comments on “ProtonMail BETA v3.1 Release Notes

• Great to hear you’re rolling out the new release despite of the iOS app problems… but is there a particular reason as to why it’s currently only available to a small number of users? Was it a technical or a business decision?

• It will be available to everybody later this week, we just didn’t bring everybody on for the testing phase which has been going on for a while now.

• please work on desktop notifications for chrome. that’s one of the most important core features imo. I don’t want to check every hour on the tab just to see if there’s a new email. The 90s are long over 🙂

• This is not sensible for old messages, only new ones until all senders are migrated to a ProtonMail address.

If IMAP was supported directly or via a local service, I could tell my local email client to do this far more easily!

• This is Great! How do i find out about pricing for custom domains. I currently have a custom domain on google apps and would love to migrate.

• I still don’t entirely understand why the app can’t just be released on F-Droid or similar. Those with a deep commitment to anonymity and security might not want to procure the app from the Play Store/App Store anyway.

• Apps need to update to v3.1 at the same time, otherwise people with 3.1 Android but still using 3.0 iOS could mess up their accounts. We have a lot of app beta testers using both iOS and Android.

• F-Droid is a Bot? perhaps has something to do with it. I personally wouldn’t want anything to do with a Bot. Just a possibility I guess.

• Looks & sounds Fantastic
    But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
    Enable the Option to turn Conversations Off.
    It’s driving me mad.

Thanks for all the Hard work behind the scenes.

• Yes, please! I deleted one email in a conversation, emptied the trash, and suddenly all emails from that conversation were gone! I always turn them off if I can!

• The way it is set up, only the trashed messages get deleted. You must have accidentally trashed the entire conversation. If you are afraid of accidentally deleting messages, it is possible to also Archive messages instead of trashing them.

• This is definitely what Ive expected in version 3.1 and I still missing that. This is key feature for many people here, so please, make this possible as soon as possible. I want using column appearance, but not with with conversations, its completely useless and confusing. I can change layout by button now, but only in rows appearance, why its not possible to use column appearance with classics rows on the left side?

• If your screen resolution is too low, we don’t allow column view. For non-conversation view, you can use v2.protonmail.com

• I am not one who has access to 3.1 but is it true that the threading/conversations view still can not be turned off? After so many comments from people wanting to turn that off I find it difficult to believe that this was not a priority…say it isn’t so…

• We have limited dev time, so we haven’t gotten around to disabling threading yet. Non-threaded view is still available by using the 2.0 version of ProtonMail, v2.protonmail.com

• Yes, I have been using the old version but it apparently is only available at the .com domain…I would much prefer to use version 3 at the .ch domain but I so abhor the conversation view that I won’t. I’ve been cheerleading Protonmail to all my friends and family since I first got my account many months ago. However, some who were able to get accounts are so turned off by the forced threading that they are abandoning the service…I know you guys are busy but such an integral usability issue that is actually causing loss of customers should probably be something that you pay more attention to…we are all not ex-google users you know…

• …plus, I have been (as have been many others) waiting on you to roll out a way to pay for the service so that you might be able to increase staff and dev time…I dearly want to support you by paying for the service and would have done it months ago…

• I don’t understand the comment about limited development time.? It would have been more time intensive to introduce it. I just dont understand why it was introduced without the ability to turn it off. For some (like me) its a disaster. Don’t like moaning as your doing as your doing a fantastic job. But its implementation wasn’t well thought out!

• Any suggestion on time schedule when disabling threads might be implemented? I would very much love to move my domain to your service, but with the mandatory threading it is a no go unfortunately.

• The ProtonMail team are legends. Thank you for your hard work and dedication to secure communication. We must not accept the premise that privacy is for hiding a wrong.

• In ProtonMail Free, how many emails can I send in a day ?
    a) 100 emails maximum in a day with 1 recipients in 1 email ?
    b) For example, if I send two emails in a day and in each email there are 50 recipients then in that case I can only send maximum two emails in a day ?

I know its free but very strange to see such limitations and I feel its silly 🙁
    I have not heard of such limitations in many popular free email service.
    I Hope these limitations are removed gradually

• Same here, I understand they are a free service and they don’t have much capacity after the attack (New servers have too be used for over provisioning) but still, please increase this limit gradually!

• This is awesome news! I’ve been testing PM for over a year now on and off and it keeps on getting better and better!
    Can’t wait to see these options/services enabled on my account!! *hint* *hint* *poke* *poke* 😉

• When you do release the mobile apps into the Apple/Google stores, please try to provide a way for us to verify the authenticity of the downloaded apps. We want to be sure that Apple/Google/USGov haven’t secretly modified them. If you post the hashes of what the apps should be, then we can hash our copies of the apps and then compare hashes to confirm the authenticity.

For Android, there is the Android Observatory. https://androidobservatory.org/

For iOS, the Signal app developers have already done some research into this and they have a partial solution.

Alternatively, continue distributing it through Crashlytics in addition to the app store. The Apple Enterprise developer certificate provides good verification automatically.

• When is 3.1 being rolled out to long time existing users? Today (Monday 02/22)? Tomorrow (Tuesday 02/23)? Or later in the week (Thursday or Friday)?

Just trying to figure out when I might see become available.

BTW … thanks for all your hard work. I, for one, appreciate it.

• In Protonmail v2, we were able to drag and drop emails into labels and folders. When will we be able to drag and drop in v3?

• Just add a “+” after your username and before “@domain.com,” … down
    username+soccerclub@protonmail.com

It is correct ? I think is a littel bug
    =====================================
    This feature has actually been available since the ProtonMail 3.0 release, but we forgot to announce it. Having multiple email addresses can be very helpful in organizing and sorting through your inbox. Your ProtonMail email address now has multiple addresses built right into it. Just add a “+” after your username and before “@domain.com,” to create a new email address that will be delivered right to your existing inbox. For example, if your email is username@protonmail.com, email sent to username+soccerclub@protonmail.com will also be delivered to your inbox. In an upcoming release, we will be adding filters and filter rules, so you can automatically sort and label emails you receive.
    =====================================

• Awesome job guys! I can’t even express how excited I am for the official release. Loving the features so far. Just curious but have you guys considered a desktop client? Especially since linking ProtonMail to the Outlook client is not the best idea. No pressure or anything but if you guys released a desktop client I don’t think I’m ever going to go back to Microsoft and Google. 😛

• Sorry about that, the list we used wasn’t complete, we will be re-sending the info to Lifetime Supporters later today, so check your email again and if you still don’t receive anything, please write us at contact@protonmail.ch, thank you for your support!

• Still waiting for my Indiegogo Lifetime Protonmail+ perk to be materialized in the new v3.1 premium features (or to get any info about when and how it should happen). In the meantime, new subscriptions to premium services seem to be enjoying immediate access to premium features…

• I actually emailed contact@protonmail.ch about a week ago, and promptly received a brief reply message saying that I’d receive a message shortly. Still waiting. I wrote again yesterday but haven’t got any further reply or explanation. What else can I do? Thanks.

• The desktop/laptop console is very nice. I tested the ‘Tresorit’ system, not as nice as PM, but I have an icon pinned to my task bar, mush better and classier then going to favorites and opening up the PM mail box. Your doing great things, also will our VPN’s interfer with the mail? Thanks

• Hug and a Kiss to each one of you! Are you celebrating? Champagne? Or not yet – still too much work to be done, yes?
    Félicitations! Gratulation!

• Hi, Can’t wait for the new features! I do have a question though. I have my own domain so I plan on using the custom domains feature, however, I also have a mailbox for my wife. Will I be able to use my domain for multiple mailboxes? Or will I need to corporate subscription? if that is the case, can you please cater for the families (family plan maybe?) that have their own domain and might have a couple of mailboxes for their family members. I’d be happy to pay a little extra for the additional mailboxes. Please keep in mind that people like me aren’t a corporation so please don’t make it too expensive. Thanks

• Multi-account/mailbox support for custom domains isn’t here yet, but it is something we are working on and will release later on.

• The way you released the custom domain doesn’t make any sense. In visionary plan, I can add up to 10 domains and up to 50 accounts, but all in the same protonmail account. Each account should be an independent account. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

• Agree 100% with Garry and fgrillo. I’ve waited for custom domains and now they are here! I’ve upgraded my account… and find that in reality I can’t use it. This is for family accounts, not corporate. So I will wait some more… (thanks for the great work so far).

• Thanks for the update. I’m looking forward to it already.

I’d also like to do one more attempt at the following:
    Problem:

Some users – most of which care about privacy – Do NOT have the Google Play Store installed on their Android device and will therefore not be able to download the Protonmail App for Android.
    Question:
    Will Protonmail – please – release it’s app on an App store called “F-Droid” from https://f-droid.org? in addition to releasing it on the Google Play Store.
    Requested answer:
    “Yes Protonmail will be released on F-Droid on the official f-droid repository” or “No we will not release Protonmail on F-Droid because of reasons x,y,z”
    Please don’t:
    Protonmail blabla crashlytics / APK download blabla / App will be released when we have approval / No answer at all.

The question I phrased is not related to the fact the app is delayed. It is about distributing it (in addition to the Google Play Store) on F-Droid because as I just mentioned not everyone has this thing called Google Play Store on their phone (No I’m not looking for a tutorial on how to get it)

forgive me for my rude comment but I would very much like to see a proper reply on this (often asked) question.

• Whether we support F-droid and continue to maintain it really depends on resources and the amount of time that we have. At the moment, we are very understaffed relative to our userbase size so only the most product critical tasks can get allocated resources. If we get a lot of support from paid accounts and have the revenue to increase our team, then we will certainly try to branch out and support more things like F-Droid.

• Hi! Thanks for your comment! sincerely appreciate it.
        I completely understand. Fortunately, maintaining F-Droid is as easy as publishing the source code and giving F-Droid permission to publish it. They will take care of the rest, like compiling, hosting the packages etc.

So the general work flow would look like this: There is an up-to-date Github (or any platform of your choice) page with the current source code aswell as a short description (this is all you’ll have to maintain, which I’m guessing you have anyway since protonmail is open-source). Then simply head over to the developers of F-Droid and give them the necessary information like links to the source code and the website and they’ll automatically build the packages from the source code and include them in the main repository. No need to invest any further effort into maintaining it.
        I hope that helps, good luck!

• Admin’s answer satisfies me, and I understand why they cannot support each and every single random request. Now can you F-Droid people stfu please?

Thank you PM team for all that you do. If I had to read some of these a-hole questions and statements I’d probably pick another project at CERN to be involved with. You are however much more patient and understanding than I am, and for that I’m grateful (and many others are too).

• Hello,

===================================================
    * Aun
    22. February 2016 at 6:32 PM

For Android, there is the Android Observatory. https://androidobservatory.org/

===================================================

https://ccsl.carleton.ca/about/ || https://androidobservatory.org/
    ——————————————————————————————-

Great idea on their part Aun …

Thank you very much for your input !

• Bonjour,
    Est il possible de continuer à utiliser son propre serveur mail et de faire une redirection vers son compte protonmail … tout en pouvant envoyer des mails depuis protonmail ?
    Pour le moment je redirige mes mails user@domaine.tdl vers myuser@protomail.tdl mais je ne peux pas envoyer de mails depuis votre webmail.
    Je ne veux pas que toutes mes adresses mails soient sur protonmail… seulement quelques unes.

Hello and sorry for the “automatic translation”.
    Is it possible to continue to use their own mail server and doing a redirect to their account protonmail … while being able to send email from protonmail?
    For now I redirect my mails to user@domaine.tdl myuser@protomail.tdl but for now I can not send messages from your webmail.
    I do not want all my email addresses are on protonmail … only a few.
    cordially,

Anthony

• For a single domain, once you change the MX record, all mail for that domain will flow to ProtonMail, there is no way to just make some mail for that account go to ProtonMail.

• I think he is aware of that. Let me try to clarify what I believe he is asking.

I have a domain. The company handling the domain provide a free mail forwarding service. I can set a catch-all that forwards all mail to GMail. I can also set a filter that explicitly sends, say, secure@mydomain.com onwards to ProtonMail.

What I can’t then do is send messages from ProtonMail with the From: field set to secure@mydomain.com. Essentially he wants to spoof the from: field. GMail does allow this. The from: field can be set to whatever you like, and if dig into the headers it says something like “sent by me@gmail.com on behalf of secure@mydomain.com“. But normal people only see the from: address and it appears to come from the domain. They secure this system by sending a verification code to the from: address you try to add, to ensure you really do own that address.

It would be nice if ProtonMail could do this. Although it of course does mean the domain provider still routes (and possibly stores/reads) all your messages.

It’s awkward that custom domains does not support catch-all. I understand your worried about the amount to spam but I use hundreds of addresses! Every company gets a new one. amazon@mydomain, google@mydomain and so on. It means I can trash an address when a company starts to spam me, and also enables me to determine which company has sold my address to spammers. I can’t possibly pre-add them all to ProtonMail. This is going to restrict my ability to switch my domain over.

• We do allow sending for your domain through ProtonMail’s mail servers.

In regards to the catch-all, we support the +aliases which offers an almost infinite number of extra addresses for your base address.

• Thanks for the reply.

Yes, sending from custom domain but only if the MX record is moved to ProtonMail. But NOT if you want to keep the MX record pointing somewhere else and use a forwarder, as the OP of this question wants to do. That’s how GMail works, not that I’m citing GMail as a perfect example by any means.

I accept +aliases do allow as many extra addresses as you like, but that does of course involve me changing every single address already registered somewhere ….. simply allowing catch all would be much easier and I don’t get that much spam to random usernames.

• Please please please , pretty please ADD CALENDAR
    This is a very important feature, easy to implement. Many people will be happy to migrate from gmail and other emails for this feature.

Also, you have to have the option to download the app for iOS or Android from somewhere else … put MD5 on them and release them. People are not happy to know you depend on “market place”

• A calendar is probably a long way away, ProtonMail has a lot of work to do just getting email started.

And they already said they’ll continue releasing the apps through Crashlytics in addition to the app stores, for people who want greater privacy from Apple/Google. It’s mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Hopefully they post hashes of the app files with something like SHA256 or better, not insecure MD5.

• Hi and thanks for your hard work! It looks very promising so far.

Would it be possible to set an existing account as an alias to another account?

Example: John Doe has registered “john.doe@protonmail.com” and “jdoe@protonmail.com”. Can he upgrade 1st address to the “Plus” plan and assign 2nd one to it as an alias?

Thanks.

• Well done – the right decision not to wait for Apple / US Gov.

Second the suggestions below for app hashes through your own web site – I trust neither Apple nor Google particularly in this context.

• I am soooo excited for the release. Cannot wait to have a paid account! I wonder, though, is the hold-up with apps on the government side or on the Apple side?

• Umm, I was waiting long time for custom-domains and aliases etc., but unfortunately, these plans just don´t fit e.g. for familys with domains like familyname.tld 🙁
    More accounts for custom-domains with lower prices would ensure lots of tech-people moving their whole family to protonmail 😀

• Hey guys a quick question… Is there something you can do for the IOS client because I frequently get expired tokens and have to retype my login and password data each time. It happens that I have 12 characters of random numbers and letters and it is such a pain doing it every 1-2 days if I want to just check my email. Can you please do something? And thank you, my divorce from google is nearly complete 🙂

• Glad to hear about the limit on labels being removed, however one of the things really stopping me from fully migrating to protonmail is the lack of rules to manage incoming traffic. is there any plans to introduce this feature?

• Has the Android app been decoupled from Google’s stuff yet? It was said at one time that it needs Google’s stuff to work on an Android device.

If you can’t yet devote resources to F-Droid, then if you please would at least make sure the app does not require any Google stuff to run, and possibly make it a direct-download from this site?

Not asking to have this done sooner than you are able, or sooner than the official release. Though, ideally it would be at the same time as the official release of the app’s.

Thank you.

• Why still protonmail 3.1 (in general 3.x) in Beta phase? In the announce on December 9 you wrote that ProtonMail will be launching on January 26th, 2016 with your first NON-BETA release.
    with kind regards.

• When will the iOS app be available for all the users?
    I love Protonmail but the absence of the app is a big issue.
    Hope to be able to download the app soon and thanks for the answer.

• Great news! Question about about aliases. Well you add support for alternate protonmail.com / .ch extensions. As an example pm.com or pm.ch? This would be awesome if you like say, have to give your email verbally over the phone.

• It doesn’t have to be those exactly just simply an illustration. I know you have written somewhere that two letter .ch domains are reserved for government use.

But there must be something nice available 🙂

• Without this limit, ProtonMail be heavily abused by spammers. ProtonMail is a very popular service for spammers because we don’t require any phone number or other verification to sign up. If many spammers make it onto ProtonMail, the high spam volume sent from ProtonMail will mean legitimate emails also get marked as spam as the major email providers will blacklist our mail server IP addresses. Thus, this limit is absolutely necessary to protect the high quality of service for legitimate users, especially those who are supporting the project by subscribing to a paid account.

• Spammers are no humans!

Or do you fear those 14y old guys who want to make a joke and send a single anonym mail a month?

Therefor those spammers can be quite well detected by good algorithms.

Only if a account seems to be suspect to be a spammer (by that algos) – that limit should take action.

And when taking in action – the user should be noticed – and able to bypass that limit (limit + 100) by enter a capcha.

It`s that simple ;-).

• Not so simple if we cannot read your email due to the end-to-end encryption 😉 Captcha doesn’t work because machines are now better at captchas than humans.

• Taking into account of what the person above said. You could use algorithms to detect whether ‘spam’ email is taking place under which the account is placed under a limit.

This limit could last for x number of time or until the user contacts support. Along the idea of a Captcha, if machines are better at detecting them, why not implement a way to harder to sign up for ProtonMail?

You’ve made a good service just from backer support I’m confident the service could find a way to combat burner accounts too.

• We are always working on spam protection, but it is a difficult problem. Making it harder to sign up would entail things like phone verification, but there are privacy issues with this so we cannot go down this path.

• The limit is too small for my liking. Yes the service ‘could’ be used for spam purposes and there is, at the moment no way for a user to say if an email is legitimate or not (no rules). But most Email services have some filters to combat spam.

You could in future implement a filter similar to these other companies whereby images are removed, line brakes, etc. etc.

User reporting of accounts (such as a report button) would be required at some stage.

• If you are a heavy user, we recommend upgrading to ProtonMail Plus, as financial support from our power users is essential to keep ProtonMail operating.

• Great news.

But what about the following points:
    – imap access (is it possible?)
    – encrypted kalendars
    – encrytped contacts
    – encrypted tasks
    – enctypted file-space
    (just like exchange but encrypted)

• We would be happy to build all of Google apps with end-to-end encryption, but first we will need everybody’s support to grow and expand ProtonMail because this cannot be done with ~15 people on a small budget. This is certainly the direction where we want to go, if the community is supportive of it.

• Google is never to be trusted, they have just adopted a messaging platform that will exposes users to low security, the management has never believe in your privacy, witness their CEO when China cracked his email he complained.

• Congratulations for the new release and new features! I’m missing the OpenPGP integration. I’m sure that protonmail will not play vendor lock-in with its customers, right?

• Before gigabyte to add more to your account is done through a single payment and already you had forever, why it is now monthly?

Thanks

• why still proton mail 3.x in beta phase? You wrote on December 9, 2015 that ProtonMail will be launching on January 26th, 2016 with the first non-beta release.
    Best regards.

• Custom Domains
    Great setup with instructions, well thought out..
    Its obvious you’ve worked hard to get this right..
    FANTASTIC Job.

• Guys. Where is the android app? I understand you have limited resources but you have to set the priorities straight. The website is awesome and it is working. It is better to have 3.0 or 2.0 or even 1.0 WITH the mobile app than 3.1 WITHOUT the app.

Just give us the app already. This playstore/applestore mockery is very unprofessional. I understand that releasing it on F-Droid needs some resources BUT putting the apk on the website to download is easy. We can enable “Unknown sources” and install it. We do NOT need google/apple or any other US nightmare companies’ approval.

People are not impatient out of bad attitude. They are excited because they see HUGE potential and they want to delete those nasty spying email accounts.

I want to force all my contacts to switch to protonmail but i can not do that until we have the app.

• Here is a more in depth discussion about why we can’t just throw the apk on the site and be done with it. We’re working to get approval asap and are also working on workarounds just in case.

• ProtonMail has been great and I have been glad to be a contributor to it’s birth and success. I will look into migrating from yahoo paid account to proton mail.

• Also, just read through this long thread and saw all the feature requests and the few complaints about how you’ve set your priorities and such. Just want to reiterate that your team of 15 is doing an amazing job. I am eager for 3.1 and features beyond too, but I appreciate that it takes time to do a job well. Thank you for the decisions you have made and the work you are doing.

• Great work – I’ve upgraded my account 48 euros a year is fine for this level of service.

The domain management from DNS was a snap – now I have email with SPF at least (DKIM seems to be taking a while) for my old domain emails.

I feel I can now evangelise the service.

Looking forward to getting PGP compatibility next!

• Thank you ProtonMail Team for the great job! 😀

My question is simple: Do you plan to organize some Giveaways of storage, for example, 1GB or 2GB additional free storage? That would be nice. Because, there are some users who cannot buy neither Plus or Visionary Plans 🙁 But, these users are supporting your work by spreading good news and praying for your Team! 😉

Thank you for your answer!

• We will try to increase storage in the future, but it depends on how many people upgrade to Plus. If a lot of people upgrade, this would provide the resources for us to add more storage to upgrade the free accounts.

• To clarify, I think the user above is referring to Gmail. They’ve offered additional space in exchange for users willing to sign in and update/change security settings. (ie, confirm/update cell contact info, secondary email, sign up for 2-step verification, change passwords, etc) if you’re lucky enough to hear about it in time (you have a one week window). It would be good practice for users if ProtonMail will eventually do something similar.

• I took a subscription “PLUS” and I added my domain.

Everything works except for one little problem with SPF (though my dns is configured and yahoo and gmail accept SPF) … but I expect tomorrow to see if it is active well into my dashboard.

Could you give the android beta to subscribers “PLUS”?
    Thank you for your work.

Anthony

• Just became a paying customer and totally happy to be part of the PM community. Thanks for all the hard work, guys! Looking forward to the years of great new features and updates ahead.

• Ist es möglich für Protonmail, dass jeder Free User die Möglichkeit hat, einen eigenen Domain zu haben ohne jegliche Kosten, und warum sind Aliase nur für Premiumnutzer verfügbar?

• does “Custom Domain” mean that i can use a domain i bought somewhere else to receive mails? Or can I create a custom domain within ProtonMail?
    The first one would not justify the pricing imo.

• Are there any plans to create a forum for the community and allow for more in depth discussions/feedback? At the moment there looks to only be the blog comments and support/FAQ section for user interaction.

I think a more general forum would be a perfect addition and help to strengthen the community, and possibly help grow the user base in time.

Recognise that everything has to be judged relative to the available manpower (setting up, moderating…) and it’s already a great achievement to have made it to this stage with the limited resources!

• Right now, a lot of discussion happens at reddit.com/r/protonmail

We have considered making a forum, but moderating the forum might take too much time at the moment.

• I love your service … but
    It will take a day or another the ability to export its mail (imap / pop or export files) because if one day you stop (or simply we want to quit your services) there is no way to keep his messages. it’s scary;-(
    Sorry for the traduction.
    Cordially

• I have switched from gmail and backed up my old mail and downloaded mbox filed. And chance of having an import function for this?

• Actually I’m using gApps for Work for my personal email address, I’m happy about the work that protonmail team is doing but I’ll wait for mobile apps and filters before moving on protonmail. (don’t miss the email import feature… in meanwhile I can keep old emails stored somewhere else)

• This new version is a big problem in Firefox 37.

None of the clickable items on the page work and only half the screen is used.

Had to go over to Chrome for any functionality.

• Why does everyone want to import tens of GB of old email? Email is not an archival system! Take the information and store it somewhere more appropriate. I doubt I’ll even need 5MB of storage, never mind 5GB.

• What better place to store email than in you mailbox?! Where it’s easily searchable, always available, tagged (or sorted in folders for old-school people) and linked to contacts/address book.

Import, but also export, are very important features. I own my data, and should I ever wish to leave I should be able to take it with me, or make a backup, etc.

With the launch of 3.1 and custom domains, I’m almost ready to switch from Gmail and become a paid Proton user. Import/export is the only remaining obstacle. Please give this priority! 🙂

• Thanks guy’s for the great release. Just wondering though, I was under the impression that 2-factor authentication would be implemented in this release, but don’t seem to see any possibility of enabling it.

• I can’t afford your ‘Visionary’ plan, but would certainly consider your ‘Plus’ plan if you allowed TWO custom domains and not just one. A bit of flexibility here would get more on board I think.

• Cool, already signed up for a domain email

What if you put all the attachemts from inbox and sent to a new page so it will work as a cloud service.
    A page where we can see all the files we sent or received.

• Love the new 3.1 appearance but not being able to get rid of the conversation mode spoils it for me. Hoped it might have been resolved in the latest update. Back to v2 for me.

• Despite paying to support the project and to get early access to the iOS version of ProtonMail, I have only received one update: to v 1.10. And now I’m reading about version 3.1 but no update is forthcoming either directly via the beta program or via the App Store. I’d like my own domain, but this doesn’t seem like consistent service…

• A question about custom domains.

Is the domain bound to 1 email account that can have up to 5 domain email addresses coming to the same email box?

Ok, if I, my wife, kids, my sister and parents (7 accounts total) want to have different email boxes with different addresses from the same domain, how would that work?

Thanks.

• Right now, all custom domain addresses would go to the same account. For multiple account support for custom domains, this feature will be coming later this year.

• So if I have more than one email account on my domain, I can not really migrate, since changing the domain records will kill other users email boxes. Hmmm. I don’t mean to be rude but I would not call that “Custom Domains Support.”

• I can’t get the math right, I think. If you don’t allow custom domains for free users, then 7 users on single custom domain will cost $35 per month or $336 per year, is this correct?

I would not mind paying one time fee for using custom domain with free accounts. However paying $300+ per year for email accounts for the family, is kind of discouraging.

• Your math is right, but that’s because the custom domain option as implemented currently is not designed to accommodate this. Any kind of account grouping is not yet supported. Ideally you’d be able to set custom domains and have separate inboxes for multiple accounts with a single (appropriately priced) group plan, which I’m sure is in the works.

• Hi guy’s, really glad to be a ProtonMail paid user, looking forward to using PM as my new mail system from now on.

One question. I have got a divert in place on an Outlook and a Gmail account, email is coming through to ProtonMail fine no bother. One thing I have noticed though, is when I delete an email completely within ProtonMail, and remove it from the trash…..the deleted copy appears in the Bin folder of my Gmail account. This doesn’t happen with Outlook.

Any idea why this would be happening with Gmail?

Thanks guys!

• Suggestion for improved privacy: the “display name” used when sending a message from an additional address should NOT be forced to be the same as the main display name chosen under settings, because then additional addresses can be linked by an external user to the main account.

The “display name” should be configurable for each additional address.

If the “display name” field under settings is left blank, then the display name for any given sent message should be the name of the address used for sending that message, and not the one of the main address.

Thanks!

• You guys are awesome and have produced an awesome product. I can’t wait until proton mail is the primary email client for everyone. Great job and great customer service!!!!

• How far are you from offering multiple users to a single custom domain? I have a need for it and I know a number of others that would like to avail themselves of ProtonMail’s security, etc. and have a custom domain where they could have multiple users.

• Love this update, just what I was waiting for but in row view please make the check boxes centered between top and bottom of the row, why are they squished right to the top 🙁

• how about an email client for windows? 🙂 there is only poor software full of bugs out their. The Bat! and K9 except maybe.

• Guys, come on. Where’s the Conversation OFF toggle. This should get Priority. Fed up of going between V2 & V3. Im trying to support you, but this was a FUNDIMENTAL error changing it withoiut an option. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give this PRIORITY STATUS.

• Hello,
    When will it be possible for us to put our GMail and Outlook accounts into ProtonMail?
    It’ll be such a great thing…

• Excellent work guys. 2 feature requests I didn’t see here:

1. Hotkeys please. Ability to archive, reply, navigate via keyboard shortcuts make a huge difference for me. Preferably borrow the keys from gmail.
    2. Ability to “snooze” a message and have it return automatically to my inbox (so I don’t have to create reminders and calendar events to follow up on things)

Do these two things and protonmail becomes my primary email account. Thanks for the great work!

Michael

• People – I have just switched to a PAID Protonmail account after 15 years of using a PAID account at a competing -supposedly- secure encrypted email service which has, as far as I am concerned, climbed into bed with the NSA. I have come to Protonmail FIRSTLY to change the legal jurisdiction which controls where the email servers are and only secondly to get an encrypted email service. Encryption is useless without also sorting out the legal aspect because even if your emails are 100% encrypted then if nothing else, a dodgy legal jurisdiction can bring legal pressure to bear on the email providers and cause the whole operation to be shut down – legally. Then your encrypted emails, whilst secure, are useless to you. Then where do you go? The people at Protonmail have set up shop outside the US and EU jurisdiction in a best effort to provide something that we should all be able to take for granted but cannot. What they provide may not yet be perfect and no, they cannot give you all your favorite bells and whistles YET but if you ALL opened up at least one PAID account, then you would be providing much needed financial support to help them take on more staff and generally make sure that what they have already provided, survives. People seem to be moaning at Protonmail for this and that when actually, you should all be moaning at the US/various EU governments for TAKING AWAY your privacy rather than at Protonmail for GIVING you some privacy. Please stop trying to get everything free – everyone has bills to pay and a little bit from everyone adds up to a lot of useful cash at Protonmail without any of us bankrupting ourselves. After all, if you do NOT want to pay to keep this facility going then you need to ask yourself how seriously you ACTUALLY take your own privacy when you can’t be bothered to support those who try a little on YOUR behalf?

• I don’t quite understand about integrating other accounts into my paid Protonmail PM.
    1) I tried Mozilla Thunderbird, it works with other accounts, not with PM. Thunderbird is new to me, I have to learn using it. I am still using web-mail accounts, as these don’t depend on my hard disc failure probability.
    2) how do I use badboy@hotmail.com with PM? Do I need to inactivate hotmail? Why should I do this, the account has been in use for >10 years.
    3) Sub+SuperScript might be useful in Compose, see hotmail example.
    4) folders expected.
    5) description of use / application of Archive might be “handy”; difference to other storage at PM explained.
    6) Online storage of encrypted files, independent of email, would be nice, not to be spygoogled.

• Has anyone been to look at the “VAULT 7” files Wikileaks received not long ago? Then go there. It will give you an idea of what the people here at Protonmail and others elsewhere are up against, And you might better understand why it is SO important to wait. The only option is a Tor Bundle and I am not even decided on that one yet either.

Some of us either Have friends or family who have lived (and survived against all odds) in war torn countries at one time or another over the last 70 years and Know when it is time to run and when it is time to wait or stay. I live in the safest western country and Am getting nervous too but, am standing my ground. So relax and Don’t give in. Fear is not your enemy. Fear is your friend.

• OK everyone. I have a Mac and I don’t even use Safari on it, or iCloud (except for what it was originally intended – Find Phone/Mac etc), or Keychain, all because there are better apps just like there is Proton Mail. And since Iwaited and waited and waited on El Crapitan to finish being cooked by Apple until eventually macOS was released (and it is really really good) I am prepared to wait for as long as it takes for Protonmail to get their latest Fully developed with all of the Road Blocks and Spook Blocks in place. I fully respect the work that Protonmail is putting into this to assure us of our Privacy & Security. In the mean time go over to WikiLeaks and read some of ‘Vault 7’ and you will understand. And for the American Tech Companies that just want to remove the yoke of the new Facist government I suggest moving to Canada and/or Switzerland. Please be patient. Protonmail is NOT going to release a half baked system/service to the public.