ProtonVPN has launched and ProtonVPN Beta is ending soon

protonvpn-free-vpn

We are excited to announce that ProtonVPN finally launched this morning and is now open to the general public. This is an important milestone in our mission to provide secure Internet to everyone in the world.

If you would like to know more about the story behind ProtonVPN, you can read our launch blog post here:

We were very excited to have all of you take part in the ProtonVPN beta and we have been very busy implementing your suggestions. We look forward to continuing to provide a high quality and secure VPN service for you after the beta.

Tonight, at midnight in Geneva, Switzerland, we will be transitioning the beta ProtonVPN to the production ProtonVPN.  ProtonVPN has three plans, ProtonVPN Plus (8€/month), ProtonVPN Basic (4€/month), and ProtonVPN Free (0€/month). All beta testers currently have ProtonVPN Plus. ProtonMail Visionary users will retain access to ProtonVPN Plus for free.

protonvpn-pricing
ProtonVPN Plans and Pricing

If you are a ProtonMail Plus user, and you would like to continue using the full version of ProtonVPN, you can go to Settings –> Dashboard to add either ProtonVPN Plus or ProtonVPN Basic to your ProtonMail plan. As a ProtonMail Plus user, you are eligible for an additional 20% bundle discount when combining Mail and VPN.

If you do nothing, you will be automatically transitioned to ProtonVPN Free. You can find full details about ProtonVPN plans and pricing here:

Note that ProtonVPN Basic and ProtonVPN Free have access to fewer servers, so after the transition tonight, some servers may stop working for you. If this happens and you are:

– On Windows connecting through the ProtonVPN application, your server list will automatically reflect this change after a periodic refresh.

– On Mac/Android/iOS, or if you are connecting with another OpenVPN client, you can get the latest OpenVPN config files by logging into the ProtonVPN user dashboard at:

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us through our support site:

Keep in mind that if you are a ProtonMail Plus user, you will receive a 20% discount when signing up for a paid ProtonVPN plan (discount is shown at checkout). If you would like to support the project, please consider upgrading to a paid ProtonVPN plan so that we can continue to grow and improve ProtonVPN. Thank you again for your support!

The ProtonMail team

Follow us on Social Media to stay up to date on ProtonVPN

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ProtonVPN

Facebook: https://facebook.com/ProtonVPN

Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/ProtonVPN

34 comments on “ProtonVPN has launched and ProtonVPN Beta is ending soon

• “If you do nothing, you will be automatically transitioned to ProtonVPN Free.”

Yes, probably, but I can’t connect to any of the servers that I had been using during the beta.

• It is probably because those servers are not free servers. You can get a list of free servers here: protonvpn.com/vpn-servers

• OK. I am new to VPNs. I need to know

1) What are “plus servers”
    2) What is the actual difference between “high” speed” and “highest speed”
    3) What is a “secure core”
    4) How do Tor Servers fit into this?

• Will Proton be offering secure cloud storage, a la Tresorit any time soon? It seems like it’d a good fit with mail and vpn !

• Will ProtonVPN be available in countries such as China and Iran where they actively block VPN connections to known providers oversea?

• It is available, but there is no way for a VPN service to evade an IP block, so unfortunately ProtonVPN can still be blocked.

• GFW is capable of detecting and blocking OpenVPN traffic on the fly. Are you planning to obfuscate (obfsproxy) the traffic?

• Great VPN. I tried Proton VPN Android App and Proton VPN for Windows PC. And I found it very useful.
    In fact, I wrote a blog post about proton VPN on my blog.
    Another thing I liked about this is its TOR anonymity feature which provides further privacy and access to Dark Web.
    After using Proton VPN, we don’t need to worry about the privacy it hides our IP Address and Location.

How to use Proton VPN in Android and Windows PC

• Hi, since ProtonVPN app is still being constantly improved (we are still editing the code, adding new features to the app etc.), it is not open-source at the moment. However, we plan to make it open source in the near future.

• Thank You!

I have used ProtonMail for 3 years and ProtonVPN since it launched, and I am very satisfied with the service.

However, I have a question about the ProtonVPN app on Mac – why was the “Kill Switch” changed to “always on”? “Always on” does not always reconnect to the VPN before other programs can already access the unsecured internet, unlike “kill switch” that just blocks all internet traffic. I used VyperVPN before ProtonVPN came out – I like and prefer ProtonVPN, but this is a serious security compromise and I would like to hear from you, why was it necessary to change?!

PS. I know everyone has their own preferences for Encrypted services and you have to prioritize, but “ProtonPW” Password Manager would be a fairly simple task to accomplish. 😉

• We are happy to hear this. Regarding the ProtonVPN app you have both options “always on” to reconnect and “Kill Switch” if you lose connection to the VPN service, the Kill Switch will block all external network traffic until it automatically re-establishes a connection to a VPN server. Please read detailed info here: https://protonvpn.com/blog/macos-vpn-kill-switch/

• Sir/madam,

I would like to purchase the protonvpn but just found out that i have to take a one year membership. Almost every other VPN service has monthly memberships. I usually use ExpressVPn But after there last update i wasn’t able to start my secure internet access. So, time for a new one to try.

I can imagine if you set up more ways to pay with like iDeal and bancontact (that the other vpn providers allready have) and make a monthly subscription available, you will get a lot more customers that now have to go to other vpn providers. I use your protonmail and also like to use proton vpn once it has a monthly membership. I don’t use internet all year round so paying for months that i don’t use it is throwing away money.

If this is in the making, please let me know. I will get my plus subscription once you make this service available.

Until that time i have to place my trust in another vpn provider.

Best regards,

• Hello. Please note that we offer Monthly, Annual, and 2-year plans. You can choose your desired billing cycle in the Dashboard of your account. If you’d like to switch to a monthly payment, please do the following:

– Log-in to your protonvpn.com account
      – Navigate to Dashboard
      – In the “Pay” category on the right side, select “Monthly”
      – Select your current plan

• Happy to see this is released now. Any chance there is a Proton password manager in our future? Multi-platform (Windows, MAC, Android, IOS)

• We don’t have any news about this for public release at this time, but if you follow us on social media, we will definitely announce it here when we have any news.

• I use ProtonMail for a very long time. I wanna use VPN and paid protonmail however the payment options provided are so limited. Will this ever change? So i can finaly start paying for youre services!!

• Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We understand this situation and we are looking at ways to accommodate the needs of all our users while still being able to offer unlimited free accounts subsidised from the paid ones. Not having an ad-based revenue model is limiting us when it comes to lowering plan prices.

• I am in the USA and have been using Proton E Mail and VPN for some months now.
    both my wife and i are online many hours a day and absolutely love the VPN. its as fast as i need it for stock market, videos, and surfing and all of that is a constant thing for me. The email: I got fed up with Gmail being sooo intrusive and now mostly use it for junk. Proton is set up well, works well, and you can just tell that a lot of thought went into designing it. Its refreshing to find a well-designed product that actually does what it says. Thanks to the gang at Proton. JH