Autoresponder is critical for business and personal users alike. If you are in need of ProtonMail for your business, please see our Professional Plans.
Setting up an auto-reply message
ProtonMail allows you to automatically send replies to incoming messages. This allows you to notify anyone who tries to send you a message while you are out of the office.
1. To access this feature you need to go to Settings and then Auto-Reply.
2. Click on the Enable toggle to enable the autoresponder.
3. Type the response message in the designated text field. This message will be sent to anyone that tries to contact while you are out of office.
4. Click on Save
5. Leave the office with a good feeling.
6. Do not forget to disable the autoresponder when you return to the office. Optionally, you can specify the exact time using the Duration. Continue reading to learn how to configure this.
Timespan settings for auto-reply messages
By default the autoresponder is set to a fixed interval. However, it is possible to configure the autoresponder to only respond at a specific time. The Duration option allows you to select 5 different options:
- Fixed duration, which allows you to specify a start date and an end date.
- Repeat daily, which allows you to specify a start time and an end time between which the autoresponder will automatically send responses. It also allows you to select on which weekdays the autoresponder should function.
- Repeat weekly, which allows you to specify a start time on a specified weekday and an end time on a specified weekday between which the autoresponder should function.
- Repeat monthly, which allows you to specify a start time on a specified day of the month and an end time on a specified day of the month between which the autoresponder should function.
- Permanent, meaning that the autoresponder will function until you turn it off.
As an example, we are going to configure the autoresponder to automatically inform people of our working hours.
1. Set the Duration option to Repeat Daily:
2. Uncheck the boxes Sat, Sun:
- Set Start time to the end of our working hours and End time to the start of our working hours:
3. Make sure Time zone is set to the right time zone.
4. Enter a response message and click on Save.
- The autoresponder does not respond to automatically generated messages such as mailing lists, mails sent by another autoresponder or messages sent by a noreply address.
- The autoresponder will not send messages multiple times to the same email address, unless the autoresponder is reconfigured.
- When configuring a repeating autoresponder, setting the Start time after the End time means that the autoresponder will always respond except between the End time and the Start time.
- Similarly, when configuring a repeating autoresponder, setting the Start time equal to the End time means that the autoresponder will always respond.