Dashlane is a well-reviewed, closed-source, and paid-for, hosted password manager solution. In this guide we show you how to use it to sign in to ProtonMail.
Dashlane offers desktop apps for Windows and macOS, but the default way to use Dashlane on the desktop is via its browser add-ons for Chrome, Firefox, Edge Chromium, and Safari.
1. Install the browser add-on for your browser and create a new account when prompted.
2. Click the Dashlane browser add-on icon (in Chrome this may be hiding in the Extensions dropdown menu) and click + to add a new login via the Dashlane web interface.
3. Enter any Name you want to call the entry (such as ProtonMail), your ProtonMail Login (username), and Password. Use https://account.protonmail.com for the Website address. Click Save when you are ready.
4. Visit account.protonmail.com, click the Dashlane icon next to the Email or username or Password fields. Select the ProtonMail entry you just created to autofill your login details.
iOS and iPadOS
1. Install Dashlane from the App Store. Tap Get Started to register, or Log in if you’ve already done so.
2. We recommend enabling Touch ID. This can also be used to secure your encrypted password, which is then stored on your iPhone or iPad (Master Password reset). Tap Continue when you are ready.
3. Tap Activate Autofill for instructions on how to enable password autofill in the iOS settings.
5. When asked to pick a service you use, start typing ProtonMail, and a protonmail.com entry will appear. Tap it.
7. Open the ProtonMail app and tap inside the Username field. When the iOS keyboard appears, tap Passwords.
8. Unlock Dashlane using Touch ID and select the ProtonMail entry you just created. Dashlane will now autofill your ProtonMail login details.
Note that it is not possible to take screenshots of Dashlane in Android due to a security policy.
1. Install Dashlane from the Play Store. Tap Get Started to register, or Log in if you’ve already done so.
2. We recommend enabling Biometric unlock. This can also be used to secure your encrypted password, which is then stored on your Android device (Master Password reset). Tap Jump In when you are ready.
3. Enable autofill by tapping Activate Autofill→ Activate Autofill → and selecting Dashlane in Android Autofill service settings. Tap Got It when you’re done.
4. Go to Menu (3-line burger icon on top left of the screen) → Home → + Add Item → Passwords → Add manually.
5. Scroll down the list of services until you see ProtonMail and tap the icon.
6. Fill in your ProtonMail Email (or username) and Password details, then tap the tick ✔ icon to save.
7. Open the ProtonMail app, tap inside the Email or username field, and select the ProtonMail auto-fill entry.