Thank you for choosing ProtonMail as your enterprise solution. Many of these frequently asked questions are answered in our introduction to Professional plans. We’ll also link to relevant help articles below.
How can I log in to my users’ mailboxes to see their emails?
You can only access the mailboxes of your non-private users. If you’ve set a user as private, you cannot undo this and you cannot access their mailbox.
To access a non-private user’s mailbox:
2. Find the user you would like to access, click the dropdown menu next to Edit, and click Sign in.
3. Enter your login password for the admin account you’re currently using.
You will now have access to the user’s account to view their emails and make other changes as an administrator.
How do I make a user an administrator (admin)?
Once you’ve added a user to your organization, you can assign them administrator (admin) rights.
To make a user an admin:
1. Log in to your administrator account on a computer at account.protonmail.com/login and go to Settings → Go to settings → Organization → Users and addresses.
2. Find the user you would like to give admin rights to and click Edit.
3. Turn on the Admin rights switch.
Once the user is assigned as an admin, they will need to log in to their account and activate their admin status by entering the organization password that you chose when you created the organization.
You can revoke a user’s admin rights at any time by turning off the Admin rights switch above.
How can I change a user’s password?
You can only access and change passwords for users that are not private.
To change a user’s password:
2. Find the user whose password you would like to change, click the dropdown menu next to Edit, and click Sign in.
3. Enter your login password for the admin account you’re currently using. You now have access to the user’s account as an administrator.
4. Click the Change password button.
5. In the boxes provided, enter your admin password, the user’s new password, and the user’s new password again to confirm. Click Change password.
Your user can now log in with their new password.
How can I add more users or addresses to my organization?
To add new users or addresses:
2. Click on the Add user or Add address button.
You can add as many users to your organization as your plan allows. By default, ProtonMail Professional plans come with one user and up to 10 email addresses (including custom addresses). If you need to add more users and addresses, you’ll need to add more users to your plan.
If I delete a user or users, can I assign their storage space or VPN connections to other users or administrators?
If you delete a user, you will have unallocated storage space and VPN connections. The remaining storage and VPN connections aren’t automatically re-allocated to the other users.
If you wish to re-allocate storage space or VPN connections, you can assign this to specific users or administrators:
1. Log in at account.protonmail.com/login on a computer and go to Settings → Go to Settings → Organization → Users and addresses.
2. Find the user you would like to allocate extra storage or VPN connections to and click Edit.
3. Click on the dropdown menu next to Account storage and select the total storage you want for this user. If you’re subscribed to a VPN plan, you can also allocate extra VPN connections to this user with the VPN connections dropdown.
4. Click Submit.
How can I create a user with a ProtonMail address or add ProtonMail addresses to users’ accounts?
Unfortunately, it’s not possible to create users with ProtonMail addresses, and you cannot add ProtonMail addresses to existing accounts. We’re planning to develop this option in the future.
It says I cannot enable multi-user support even though I am already subscribed to a Professional plan.
ProtonMail Professional comes with only one user by default. If you want to enable multi-user support, you’ll need to add extra users to your Professional plan.
To add users to your plan:
1. Log in at account.protonmail.com/login on a computer and go to Settings → Go to Settings → Account → Dashboard → Your plan → Customize subscription.
2. Under ProtonMail customization, add users to your account using the + icon (or remove them using the – icon).
Every time you add a new user, five addresses will be added automatically to your account (or removed if you remove users).
Can I create a user with the exact custom domain email address I’m already using with my primary admin account?
It is possible to create a user with an email address you’re already using.
For example, suppose your primary account is email@example.com and you send and receive mail personally using a custom domain address, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To create a user with email@example.com without deleting all your old emails:
2. Find your primary admin user with the address you want to re-assign to a new user and click Edit.
3. Click the dropdown menu next to the address you want to re-assign and click Disable.
You’ll no longer be able to send or receive emails from this address, but your old emails will still be available in your primary mailbox (i.e., firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. In the same Users and addresses tab, click on Add user and create the email address again for your new user.