Tor is a hidden network that encrypts and anonymizes your internet connection, giving users improved security and privacy. ProtonMail provides email access over the Tor network through our onion site through our version 3 address.
You must be connected to Tor to access the ProtonMail onion site. You can do this in two ways:
- Download the Tor browser
- If you prefer not to use the Tor browser, you can also install Tor on your computer or use ProtonVPN, which supports one-click Tor connection.
Visit our article about Tor setup to learn more.
Accessing onion sites in Firefox
If you are using Firefox, there may be another step you have to follow to access onion sites through Tor:
- In the Firefox address bar, type about:config and press Enter.
- Click “Accept the Risk and Continue”.
- Type network.dns.blockDotOnion in the search bar.
- Toggle the value to false.
You will now be able to access onion sites using Firefox.