Push notifications for iOS and Android are sent each time you receive a new email to your Mailbox. (There’s no notification for emails marked as spam.) You will receive a push notification even if you open the message from another device.
There are multiple reasons you may not be receiving push notifications for incoming emails. Here are some of the most common problems and solutions:
– Make sure Google Services are enabled. We currently use Google Play to implement push notifications. We will try to find other ways to support push notifications in the future.
– Please check that background sync is enabled in the Application settings. If background sync is disabled, the app will not be able to pull emails from the server in the background and you will not receive push notifications.
– Check if the snooze option is enabled in the ProtonMail app settings. You will not receive any notifications during the times that the snooze option is active.
– Make sure notifications are allowed for ProtonMail in the Android settings.
To check this, click on the settings button in your phone -> click on “Apps” -> locate the ProtonMail app -> select the notifications option and enable “Allow notifications”.
– Close and restart the Android application.
– Log out and log in again to the Android application.
For Huawei devices:
There is a problem on Huawei devices that affects all push notifications. To receive push notifications on Huawei for ProtonMail, you will need to follow these steps:
Go to settings -> advanced settings -> battery manager -> protected apps, then find the app you want to see notifications from and protect it. In this way, you can “whitelist” the app, preventing Huawei’s software from shutting it down for no reason.
If none of the above works, please re-install the ProtonMail app.
– Make sure push notifications are allowed for ProtonMail in your iOS device. Open your iOS settings -> locate the ProtonMail app -> and ensure the “Allow Notifications” option is enabled.
– Close and restart the iOS application.
– Log out and log in again to the iOS application.
If notifications are allowed and you are still not receiving push notifications, please re-install the ProtonMail application.
Note: To receive push notifications for custom folders, you must enable them in Settings -> Folders/Labels -> Set the Notification to “ON“.