Sending limits help to protect ProtonMail’s IP reputation and ensure all messages sent from ProtonMail are delivered in the recipient’s inbox – not the spam folder. Sending limits change based on the reputation of individual ProtonMail accounts. There are many ways to ensure your account has a high sender’s reputation. For instance, upgrading to a yearly paid plan will quickly boost your sending limits. However, behaviors such as bulk emailing or triggering spam complaints will lead to much lower limits. ProtonMail is not designed for bulk/spam emailing.
There are two possible hourly limits ProtonMail accounts can reach. Once a limit is reached, please wait 1 hour before sending again.
- “Hourly external sending limit reached!”
- “Hourly external BCC sending limit reached!”
There are two possible daily limits ProtonMail accounts can reach. Once a limit is reached, please wait 12-24 hours before sending again.
- “Daily external sending limit reached!”
- “Daily external BCC sending limit reached!”
Spammer detection message.
- “You are temporarily banned from sending because of spammy or undeliverable emails.”
In addition to hourly and daily sending limits, ProtonMail implements a smart spam detection system to immediately halt the sending of suspicious accounts. If you receive this detection message, please ensure you are following the tips provided below. You will need to wait 48 hours to continue sending with your account. If you continue to receive this message your account will go under review for deletion. If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact us via the Report Bug.
In special cases, some accounts may have a lower sending limit than the default, such as new email addresses that haven’t built up a good reputation yet.
A combination of factors can affect your sending limit. Here are some helpful tips to ensure you avoid hitting the limits:
- Start using your email address – the more you use it, the higher your limits will become.
- Encourage your friends to join ProtonMail – sending messages to other ProtonMail addresses has a much higher limit than sending to outside addresses.
- Upgrade your account – enjoy all the features that come with ProtonMail Plus, including higher sending limits.
- Don’t send spam – ensure you are only sending to individuals who you know or are expecting your message.
- Avoid sending to undeliverable addresses.
- Avoid using BCC in excess.
- Update all the information within your ProtonMail account settings.
- Keep your sending below (please note, these limits are suggestions. Your user reputation (as outlined above) is variable and will determine your unique sending limits):
- Free Plan: 50 messages*/hour and 150 messages*/day
- Plus Plan: 300 messages*/hour and 1000 messages*/day
- Professional Plan: User’s discretion
- Visionary Plan: User’s discretion
- The maximum number of recipients you can add to an email is 100. But keep in mind that ProtonMail is not designed for bulk mailing.
Please note: Sending Limits do not affect inbound mail (this is unlimited).
* 10 recipients (any email added to TO, CC, & BCC) within a message counts as 10 unique messages. ProtonMail is currently not designed for high volume sending such as marketing blasts and transactional emails. Any spam sending is a violation of ProtonMail’s Terms and Conditions, making your account subject to review and termination.