We understand changing email providers can be a daunting task at times. We appreciate you making the decision to use ProtonMail, and trust that you will be glad you did. Below you will find tools designed to make the process as simple and stress free as possible.
Closest/most frequently emailed contacts
After you have setup your ProtonMail addresses, it is important that you inform your contacts about your new email change. We recommend sending a message to your closest contacts through your existing Gmail email address with your new ProtonMail address in CC. This will help your contacts easily update your email address in their contact information.
Upload your contacts
Prior to importing your existing contacts into ProtonMail, you will need to export them from your Gmail account.
Once you have exported your contacts, please follow the steps found here to import your contacts.
Import your messages
With the Import-Export app, you can quickly migrate your entire Gmail mailbox or the desired emails directly into your ProtonMail account. You can find instructions to import here.
In the Bridge, if you add both your ProtonMail and Gmail accounts to the same third-party client, you can import Gmail messages simply by dragging them into one of your ProtonMail folders. If you prefer not to use a third-party client, we are also working on building a separate import/export tool. You can export your Gmail messages and wait for our import tool or forward your existing Gmail messages to your ProtonMail account.
Setting up your Gmail to forward you your Gmail messages
These messages will not be end-to-end encrypted; however, forwarding your Gmail messages to ProtonMail allows you to see any new messages delivered to your Gmail in your ProtonMail account to ensure you do not miss any messages while transitioning to your ProtonMail email address.
To setup Gmail forwarding please follow these steps:
- Open the Gmail account that you want to forward from.
- At the top right, click the gear .
- Select Settings.
- Select the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Click Add a forwarding address in the “Forwarding” section.
- Enter the email address you want to forward to.
- For your security, we’ll send a verification email to that address. Open your other email account and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team. If you’re having trouble finding it, check your Spam folder.
- Click the verification link in that email.
- Back in your Gmail account, reload the page in your web browser – look for the reload icon .
- On the same Forwarding and POP/IMAP page in Settings, check that Forward a copy of incoming mail is selected and your email address is in the drop-down menu.
- In the second drop-down menu, choose what you want Gmail to do with your messages after they’re forwarded, such as keep Gmail’s copy in the Inbox (recommended) or archive Gmail’s copy.
- Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
Moving your custom domain
If you use a custom domain in your Gmail account, you will need to follow a few steps to start receiving mail through ProtonMail.
Before removing your domain from Google: If the domain’s MX records currently point to Google mail servers, you will need to add your domain to ProtonMail and update the domain’s DNS records so they point to ProtonMail’s mail server. Otherwise, all messages sent to users in the domain will be bounced back to the sender.
You can now recreate your custom domain email addresses within your ProtonMail account.
Once you have updated your MX records, you can delete your domain from Google as all mail will now be delivered to your ProtonMail account.